Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Turbo/Super for Hemi???? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/turbo-super-for-hemi-46472.html)

CrzyAzn 08-22-2012 09:55 PM

Turbo/Super for Hemi????

Does anybody know of anyone that has or is coming out with a Supercharger system or Turbocharger system for the WK2 Hemi?? I know there isn't even a tune out yet which I'm disappointed in, but I'm already knowing it's still not going to be enough. And before I do too much more, I want to know my options. I've seen custom ones of each, but no production systems yet. Why do they make them for everything else Hemi except the 5.7 Jeep??? :wtf:

Doc_d 08-22-2012 10:41 PM

Re: Turbo/Super for Hemi????

I'm been considering getting a RIPP supercharger for my 2008 Wrangler JK. It's just a Vortec supercharger packaged for the Jeep Wrangler JK.

Things aren't so easy in 2012. I think the big problem is that in 2011 and 2012 Jeep went to great lengths to encrypt the ECU/PCM code which is making it very difficult for aftermarket companies to deal with.

You can't do forced induction without proper engine management. Without being able to reprogram the ECU/PCM they'd have to use a piggy-back system which sucks. Even if someone comes out with a piggy-back I would not recommend it under any circumstance. I've dealt with them before and they are a huge kludge compared to just reprogramming the native PCM/ECU.

For what it's worth the RIPP superchargers on the JKs seem to be well regarded. The stock JKs dyno as low as 120 WHP and I think are putting out something like 220 WHP with the RIPP (vortec). Reviews I've read say that power, driveability and fuel economy are all excellent.

If they can get an extra 80% (or 100 WHP) out of that dog of a 3.8 liter I'm guessing they could easily get an extra 150+ WHP out of the Hemi.

CrzyAzn 08-23-2012 09:12 AM

I was looking at the RIPP chargers as well but still nothing for the WK2. I def will not do it without good engine management, I know all about that. I have a 475 AWHP Evo X. The RIPP on the older 5.7 were churning out 120-150 more which would probably make me much happier but they only do the SRT, which I would have gotten but I wanted this to be able to take more off road and camping etc. Just need more power, the Hemi feels weak for what it puts out and I know its because its a big heavy vehicle but still. Guess ill just have to sit and wait and see what comes out hopefully in the next 5 years, I know it took a while to break into the WK programming. Hopefully someday...

Doc_d 08-23-2012 12:37 PM

In the Hemi's defense I think it's a little decieving. The jeep is so quiet and smooth I think it makes it feel slow. I've seen videos of stock hemi WK2s doing 0-60 in under 7 seconds. For a 5,000 pound vehicle to be doing 0 - 60 in the 6 second range is pretty impressive. But it sure doesn't feel like it's going that fast.

I had a Jeep Liberty and my JK Wrangler. Both those vehicles felt like they were going faster because the engines scream and the transmissions kick down very hard. Ironically the Liberty is probably at least 2 seconds slower 0 - 60 and the Wranger is probably 4 seconds slower 0 - 60.

I suspect the ZF 8 speed transmission could knock another full second off the Hemi WK2's 0 - 60 time. If that happens you'll be looking at a 5,000 pound vehicle that does 0 - 60 in under 6 seconds.

But yeah, a supercharger always makes everything better! :thumbsup:

trelos78 08-23-2012 12:39 PM

Arrington at shophemi.com came out with a hemi sc package utilizing a 2.3L twin screw complete with a tuner (used a 2010 ecu). Apparently it works but it also costs 11k. That's a bit too steep for my taste. The consencus is that before the year ends the codes will be cracked.......hope this helps!!

CrzyAzn 08-23-2012 01:08 PM

Yea that is quite steep for a kit like that. But I guess to be some of the only ones out there you pay the price. Im okay for now, the wife drives the Jeep mainly and I have the Evo to satisfy my speed taste. But when I drive the Jeep, sometimes I just want to sunrise people. I will be interested to see what the chips will do and what the SC kits afterwards will provide. Until then ill wait patiently and work on the rest of the Jeep.

ekaz 08-23-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trelos78 (Post 674316)
Arrington at shophemi.com came out with a hemi sc package utilizing a 2.3L twin screw complete with a tuner (used a 2010 ecu). Apparently it works but it also costs 11k. That's a bit too steep for my taste. The consencus is that before the year ends the codes will be cracked.......hope this helps!!

The kit only works on a limited amount of cars, not all the LX's or any of the Jeeps.