Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   A few questions regarding oil switch and ported tb's (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/a-few-questions-regarding-oil-switch-and-ported-tbs-46479.html)

Laredo2006 08-23-2012 12:14 AM

A few questions regarding oil switch and ported tb's

Is it unwise to switch to synthetic oil on a 2006 WK 4.7 Jeep with 115k mileage?

Concerning TB's (Fastman), will the mechanics at the dealership know how to install it with no problems and do they have to reprogram it by removing the negative side of the battery or do I have to brig them the exact details?

Ive neglected the servicing as well lately and have to service the differential oils, transfer case (is it one or 2 transfer cases btw?), coolant flush, pcv valve? EGR valve, map sensor, serpentine belt and a few other things including transmission oil change and the fact that my local mechanic put in ngk instead of champion spark plugs....

Which order would you proceed in if you could spend 300 every 2 weeks?

Sorry for all the questions, got the upgrading/updating bug.

2005JGC 08-23-2012 12:32 AM

Re: A few questions regarding oil switch and ported tb's

no need to relearn anything with the new throttle body.

neglecting service is not good... goes without saying obviously. Singular "transfercase", just do coolant drain and fills, you wont clear everything out but a vast majority and if you do this regularly then you will never be full of "new" coolant but always be full of health coolant. PCV valve is a good one to replace, egr valve and map sensors are not important, they will let you know when they are failing. serp belt would be good to replace if you have not ever replaced it. Trans service is really good, and your right, oem plugs are best!

I just did my oil change monday and switched to synthetic valvoline 5w30, beyond paying 9 dollars a quart there is not a damn difference, Im also at 190k miles and figured the extra protection would be nice... There WILL be people that disagree with me and will say "my idle smoothed out" or "it runs so much smoother", "less lifter noise", yadda yadda yadda... its not magic, sorry, it does its job and it does it well, it lubricates... it doesnt fix other things and it DOES NOT mean you can just postpone your oil changes another 5k miles.

If you want to know what you should do first, you should do the service FIRST... if you cannot afford to do the stuff now you wont be able to afford repairs of neglected components ;) no point in having go fast goodies on if its parked on the side of your house because it needs a diff overhaul and you cannot afford it. just my .02

ms2020 08-24-2012 06:40 PM

switching to synthetic will never hurt. only help. as stated, wont fix issues but will help protect better

dont bring after market parts to a dealer. a tb is super simple to install. if you dont have the know how, ask a buddy or bring to private shop.

services are important! try not to neglect :) as for egr, map sensor. only replace if they have faults. they dont have mileage rec. changes.

as for the tranny/diffs and other things. pick one or two and start knocking them out.
if u have the ability, the transfer case front diff are easy as pie to do. just drain and fill with new fluid.

dmsfun 08-25-2012 07:58 AM

As stated above, do all required maintenance first, replace all worn out parts and bushings in the suspension, etc., then start spending money on upgrades. The upkeep on a WK is critical to avoid very costly repairs down the road. Replacing a TB a simple procedure; 4 bolts and a connector, unplug the neg terminal to reset ecu.

BlackoutAltitude5.7L 08-25-2012 08:48 AM

Actually switching to synthetic oil on a higher mileage engine will cause leaks in gaskets. Synthetic snake "oils" can, and mostly will cause leaks from older gaskets. "Those "oils" are not really oils as we know them, they are revised packages of chemicals, and in them, are solvents, and fluids so light, they can creep past any gasket that is in any way compromised by heat, age, whatever."

Just thought I would throw that in there. If you want to switch, you may want to change your gaskets. Or you could wait for it to leak and have to replace the gaskets and oil again!

GL

dr.lee.baugh 08-25-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackoutAltitude5.7L (Post 674935)
Actually switching to synthetic oil on a higher mileage engine will cause leaks in gaskets. Synthetic snake "oils" can, and mostly will cause leaks from older gaskets. "Those "oils" are not really oils as we know them, they are revised packages of chemicals, and in them, are solvents, and fluids so light, they can creep past any gasket that is in any way compromised by heat, age, whatever."

Just thought I would throw that in there. If you want to switch, you may want to change your gaskets. Or you could wait for it to leak and have to replace the gaskets and oil again!

GL

This opinion has been around for years, with very little to back it up, IMHO. Yes, if you have a minor leak it may appear to be made worse by switching to synthetic. I have NEVER seen any direct evidence that switching to synthetic causes gaskets to fail. I wouldn't be scared off from making the switch, and if you do a little research you will likely agree.

For what it's worth, there are many members on here that have swithed to full synthetic at high mileage without incident (including 2005JGC, who is probably one of the most knowledgable members on this forum about our Jeeps...).

BlackoutAltitude5.7L 08-25-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 674954)
This opinion has been around for years, with very little to back it up, IMHO. Yes, if you have a minor leak it may appear to be made worse by switching to synthetic. I have NEVER seen any direct evidence that switching to synthetic causes gaskets to fail. I wouldn't be scared off from making the switch, and if you do a little research you will likely agree.

For what it's worth, there are many members on here that have switched to full synthetic at high mileage without incident (including 2005JGC, who is probably one of the most knowledgeable members on this forum about our Jeeps...).

I never said it would make the gasket fail, you need to reread the post. When using regular "dinosaur" oil, the gasket does tend to wear with age and heat. When you switch to synthetic oil it finds its way through the wear on the gasket(from heat and age). Your opinion and it happening to me on 2 vehicles is also a difference. I changed Look it up on many forums.

2005JGC may not have had worn gaskets, and high mileage and wear is different for every one. Gasket composition, weather, driving habits, and etc are many factors in the wear of gaskets. I just suggested something I have gone through. Plus you did not state if these members may have changed out their valve cover gaskets or oil pan gaskets previously.

dr.lee.baugh 08-25-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackoutAltitude5.7L (Post 674935)
Actually switching to synthetic oil on a higher mileage engine will cause leaks in gaskets. Synthetic snake "oils" can, and mostly will cause leaks from older gaskets. "
GL

Sounds like you are saying it will cause gasket failure to me...if that was not your intent then perhaps wording things less strongly would help. Saying thinks like "will cause leaks in gaskets" and "...can and mostly will cause leaks from older gaskets" would, I think, lead people to make that inference. A leaking gasket to me, is one that has failed...

Either way - both sides of the coin are out there now. I did not want people to be scared away from changing to synthetic based on what is predominantly held to be a myth in the automotive world.

People can look into both sides and decide for themselves ;)