Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2014 Grand Cherokee - MPG? Let the speculations begin!

17K views 65 replies 33 participants last post by  Roki303 
#1 ·
Here is an interesting article (from 8/24) about 2013 Dodge Ram's MPG:

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/08/ram-beats-minivan-mileage

Apparently MPG (for V6) went from 14/20 to 18/25 which I think is fantastic. Seems like very similar technology was added that we will see in 2014 GC.

Obviously makes you wonder how much of an mpg bump 2014 will get for V6/V8 models. Diesel's mpg will be interesting as well.

#3 ·
Re: 2014 MPG - let the speculations begin

the current V6's get better than that already.....on a recent short trip of 400 miles i got 22 in my wifes V6 Durango and that included a lot of city driving etc. I think on an all interstate, steady trip at 75 mph I could get 25-26 easy. 70 mph...probbaly a few better

#7 ·

A lot depends on the gearing and whether they modify the cams to be peakier (do not need as broad a torque range with an 8 speed). Looks like they are also smoothing the aerodynamics a bit.

That said, the EPA cycles are not steady state, there is quite a bit of acceleration: being able to meet the cycle without ever going into power enrichment is a key to a good rating. Also keep in mind that the cycle never exceeds 60 mph.

#8 · (Edited)

They totally changed engines. I'd expect 1 or 2 mpg extra at most from the new transmission.

As mentioned previously, the EPA testing is fairly inaccurate to actual driving. Certain other American car makers *cough* GM *cough* have exploited this on some of their newer vehicles, with models that have hugely amazing EPA ratings, but real life numbers fall far short of that.

EDIT: I think the logical thing to do is look at the most similar competition to the GC - the ML. With its 7 speed transmission (let's call this a wash with the 8 speed, because it's likely MB will have this transmission optimized better than the 8 speed will be by Jeep), more advanced engines than Jeep has (turbo V8s), and a gearing set more for economy than offroad prowess less weight, and a less rugged and more efficient awd system, the ML350 does 17/22 while the ML550 does 15/20. The VW Touareg with an 8 speed transmission is rated at 16/23 (admittedly, it's V6 is a bit outdated, but is still a great powerplant) despite being lighter and less offroadable than the Jeep.

I really don't see this transmission improving on the fuel economy that much, considering that the Jeeps already have stellar fuel economy compared to their rivals. The Touareg only gained 3 mpg when it went from the 6 speed to the 8 speed, and it also got a host of other changes including making it much lighter, making its 4x4 less rugged and more efficient, etc.

Again, I'd expect a 1-2 mpg difference in fuel economy with the 8 speed, based on empirical data.

#9 · (Edited)

I will try to find the source/article, but I saw something that said Jeep was expecting about a 12% increase in gas mileage for the V6 between MY12 (5-spd) and MY14 (8-spd).

#10 ·

Would wager any extra MPG on the EPA cycle would come from less power required on the accelleration stages and not steady state. Can't profitably drop the revs any lower than the current fifth below 60 mph.

I do think they could run the engine a bit cooler since they are using the variable oil pump.

Back in the day I recall one mfr getting in trouble for using lightweight synthetic breakin oil for the tests.

#13 ·

I speculate the CRD with 8 speed auto will get somewhere around 40mpg and be the first ever full size SUV to do so...

...bwwaahahahahaha I WISH!! I'm in the market for a Wrangler and wish they'd release info about that coming in CRD.

#14 ·

My prediction is 18/25 (wouldn't be suprised if I see 26) for V6. As far as CRD is concerned I think it might go as high as 30MPG highway.

#20 ·

My prediction is 18/25 (wouldn't be suprised if I see 26) for V6. As far as CRD is concerned I think it might go as high as 30MPG highway.
I later amended it based on some other evidence to possibly get highway economy as high as 27 or 28MPG. If we get that good, I think it will be a fabulous success.
Looks like a fab success then... 1 tank=750mi :)

#16 ·

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. 18/25 mpg is great, however if the ram is running like a dog with the 3.6L, then whats the point.

Damn you Chrysler, just kill the 4.7L V8 already, its completely useless now. That engine should have been dead a few years ago.

#17 · (Edited)

Those figures are for 4x2 from allpar.com. This looks pretty damn impressive ...

Ram 1500 4X2 Pickup Estimated Fuel Economy (city/highway)Engine / Transmission Liters/100km Imperial MPG U.S. gallon MPG
3.6L Pentastar V6 with 8‐speed auto 11.4/7.8 25/36 21/30
4.7L V8 with 6‐speed auto 15.0/10.2 19/28 16/23
5.7L HEMI V8 with 6‐speed auto 15.4/10.2 18/28 15/23

#19 ·

Earlier this year I did some fairly exhaustive poking around to come up with a good estimate. I posted my comparisons on another website that shall remain unnamed. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...age-per-year-1315400/index4.html#post12893021

My conclusion at the time was:
My subjective and conservative guess based on a general review of the stats below is that it would be reasonable to think the diesel Jeep GC could get 20 city and 26 highway. Those numbers would be fantastic because there is no other off-road worthy vehicle that comes remotely close!!
I later amended it based on some other evidence to possibly get highway economy as high as 27 or 28MPG. If we get that good, I think it will be a fabulous success. It is highly unlikely that the city economy is any better than 20 MPG.

#22 ·

It should lie somewhere in between the Ram 1500, which in HFE config. it is 18/25 and where the LX cars is, 19/31. My guesses:

V6/8 speed combo
4x2 - 18/27-28.
4x4 - 18/26

Hemi/8 speed combo
4x2 - 17/25
4x4 - 17/23-24

This is based purely on changing the transmission/engine combo. They may add others features such as stop & go, active grill shutters, electric steering, recalibrated air suspension, reduce in weight and many others things to increase efficiency even further.

#23 ·

You may be right about real road cruise but do not forget that the EPA highway rating never exceeds 60 mph and does a lot of accelerating/braking with very little cruising.

Any real improvement will come from more gears needing less PE to accellerate but to affect the 55-70 cruise MPG is going to need new cams & maps with even lower/shorter peak torque: 1400-1800 rpm.

If there is a real benefit, it will be to the diesel and not so much the Pentastar. YMMV.

#24 ·

I don't see highway fuel economy going up by that much. The overdrive in final gears on my Hemi is still pretty high, so when you factor in the ACM, the reality is, you need a certain amount of hp to move a 5200+ pound vehicle at 60-70mph. No amount of extra gears will change this, and this is what will affect your highway fuel economy.

I can't speak as much to the V6, as my experience with it is much shorter than my V8, however I recall it spinning at lower rpms more often than not as well. I wouldn't expect a huge mpg increase, you're still talking about a 5000 pound vehicle.

Truth be told, my biggest limitation on fuel economy right now is these damn hills and mountains. When I was on the flat lands down in Florida, I was getting 24mpg highway, cruising at 75. The hills significantly increase the amount of power needed to drag this heavy beast up an incline.

Another interesting point though, all 3 engines are going to be using the same transmissions? The same gear ratios will not work for all 3 engines. So those gear ratios will have to be picked around either making all of them "good enough" or making one of them great. It wll be interesting to see.

#25 · (Edited)

If they reported that the Ram 1500 has increased gas mileage by about 20% with the Hemi/8-speed combo why wouldn't the GC do the same or a little better. For 2012 Ram 1500 with Hemi/6-speed was 14/19-20. 20% gains equate to about 16.8/22.8-24. So the GC is a little bit lighter and they are improving the aerodynamics a little.

Maybe it will be about 24 Hwy for 4x2. I was being a little optimistic so when I get my 4x4 gas would be great. Maybe 22 Hwy for the 4x4. That may seem a lil more reasonable

#26 ·

I have the V6 and I see high numbers on the highway and city, i live in West by God Virginia and the mountains don't affect my mpg all that much. I do a lot of start/stop driving and see about 18 city and sometimes up to 26 hwy with cruise set at 75. Of course if I am stopped at a red light on hill it does compromise some mpg's because of the lack of power, but I'm happy with my V6.

#27 · (Edited)

The crd should be very capable of AT LEAST 35 mpg at 55-60 mph on the interstate.

My 2011 Touareg TDI gets over 37 mpg under those conditions, yet is epa rated at 28 mpg hwy, diesels are under rated.

I have owned a 5.9 cummins, 7.3 powerstoke, 3.0 BMW Diesel and the 3.0 TDI.

The 3.0 crd engines hit the sweet spot with 400+ ft lbs of torque while providing outstanding fuel economy, especially on the open road.

I am very excited about the 2014 JGC ecodiesel! It will be the only diesel suv in the US to be offered with a locking center diff.

#36 ·

The crd should be very capable of AT LEAST 35 mpg at 55-60 mph on the interstate.

My 2011 Touareg TDI gets over 37 mpg under those conditions, yet is epa rated at 28 mpg hwy, diesels are under rated.

I have owned a 5.9 cummins, 7.3 powerstoke, 3.0 BMW Diesel and the 3.0 TDI.

The 3.0 crd engines hit the sweet spot with 400+ ft lbs of torque while providing outstanding fuel economy, especially on the open road.

I am very excited about the 2014 JGC ecodiesel! It will be the only diesel suv in the US to be offered with a locking center diff.
I have owned many newer diesel's, either in highway tractors, pick ups or SUV's. If it was me, I would be staying away from any new diesel right now. Maybe with the exception of the 6.7L Cummins which looks to be perfected. What they have to do to these new diesel's to make them run clean is crazy. Everything is so complex now and not too mention expensive. If these recent diesel (car, pick up or SUV) owners had any idea what the head looks like after some reasonable use, most would save their cash and opt for the gas engine. If people want to roll the dice and buy a new CRD Jeep, Toureg, Ford diesel, Jetta...their nuts! It's not worth the gamble. I am real happy with my 3.6L in my 2012 GC. Less potential for disaster.

#28 ·
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Gets New Technology, Diesel Engine Option

• Date Published: 12/11/2012
The refreshed 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee debuts next month at the 2013 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, and is expected to display styling, technology and powertrain upgrades in advance of its arrival in dealer showrooms during the first quarter of 2013. Among the changes: the 2014 Grand Cherokee will offer a 3.0-liter 6-cylinder diesel engine option.

A report published in Automotive News states that both Chrysler-Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne and Jeep brand president and CEO Mike Manley confirmed that the updated 2014 Grand Cherokee would offer the diesel engine option. The 3.0-liter 6-cylinder is sourced from VM Motori, owned by Fiat, and the engine is already offered in Grand Cherokees sold outside of the United States.

According to Automotive News, the 2014 Grand Cherokee diesel engine is rated to make 241 horsepower, is paired with a 5-speed automatic transmission, and is rated to get the U.S. equivalent of 23 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway in the European test cycle. The publication quoted Marchionne as saying, "People have the wrong perception of what diesel is like." Manley said, "I think we're going to be surprised at the demand for that vehicle."

Additionally, Jeep is expected to announce a new 8-speed automatic transmission for the 2014 Grand Cherokee, as well as the availability of the new Uconnect Access technology that is already optional for the 2013 Ram 1500 pickup truck and the 2013 SRT Viper sports car.
-----------------------------

probably posted or speculated, but this is the first "official" text I've seen. MPG 23/33:) (and that's with the 5 speed)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.