Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Standard to Power Liftgate (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/standard-to-power-liftgate-46581.html)

gibbynd 08-25-2012 06:51 PM

Standard to Power Liftgate

Has anyone been able to convert their standard liftgate on a laredo to a power liftgate? If so, what is involved and cost. Can it even be done?

JTS97Z28 08-25-2012 07:31 PM

Re: Standard to Power Liftgate

Betchya its expensive. Different modules, keyfobs, interior buttons in the front and rear, probably has special programming, latch mechanism, lift gate motor. Oh just thought of this that the rear hatch handle is probably special as well. So needless to say it would be a LOT of work and money. I assume the interior wire harnesses are different as well so no clue how you would even go about wiring it all up.

armoredsaint 08-25-2012 10:28 PM

that's what your wife is for? ;):D

Bart Man 09-15-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibbynd (Post 675104)
Has anyone been able to convert their standard liftgate on a laredo to a power liftgate? If so, what is involved and cost. Can it even be done?

still wondering myself ??:rolleyes::confused:

cost aside Has anyone done this and or is it possible

Baalic 09-15-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bart Man (Post 894005)

still wondering myself ??:rolleyes::confused:

cost aside Has anyone done this and or is it possible

cost aside? of course it is what kind of "excuse me" retarded question is that!?

is it economically feasible or even worth it? my vote is no.

jacko15 09-15-2013 09:55 PM

I'm sure it would be easier to trade up to an E or Limited, and probably cheaper. I doubt anyone as done more than give this a passing thought.

mhassler 09-16-2013 08:52 AM

I looked into this for my 2011 Limited and the parts (that I could find) through parts.com were over $3000 (a lot of wiring harnesses) and there was no guarantee it would work from an electrical standpoint.

This was the only response I rec'd when I asked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpmcgee (Post 329056)
The power lift gate has all kinds of components.

At its most simple, if the wiring harness is correct at the top of the back hatch, you should be able to provide power to the lift motor. But actually getting it to lift is much more of a challenge:

1. Inside button in cargo area. Clearly this would need the button and the cargo area inside cover panel. Presuming the harness is already extended to this spot, you may not need to program the chassis control module.

2. Front button by the rear view mirror. This would need either a new plastic bezel with the correct number of button, or if there's a blank there, just the button assembly. I'm guessing this might require chassis control module programming.

3. Key fob. Obviously, you need a new fob for this. And definitely programming of the remote entry module.

4. Outside hatch handle. If you just unlatch, it triggers the auto open feature. I don't know if this behavior is built into the lifter or the latch.

I don't know, dude. I'm guessing a fully operational power lift gate is going to be tough. Even assuming that the harnesses have been extended to the right spots, which is NOT certain if the power lift gate isn't available for your trim level.

B

bill_de 09-16-2013 09:30 AM

The only way that might make it somewhat feasible would be to find a wreck with all front end damage and salvage all the parts.

Would it be worth the work, not for me. But if this kind of thing is something you like doing, why not.

Remember;

It is only work if you would rather be doing something else.

---

mhassler 09-16-2013 09:57 AM

^^good points

when I was looking to do this I checked local salvage yards but there were minimal wrecked wk2s, may have better luck now

f1anatic 09-16-2013 10:06 AM

people just need to make smarter buying choices and do their research and buy everything in one package. Little stuff here and there, say skid plates or even direct bolt on hardware like the bigger heavy duty brakes or radiator, I can see trying to save on and add later. But not things that are not bolt-on which require advanced integration.

Krisw123 09-16-2013 09:17 PM

Having moved from the UK, I thought I had absolutely no need for a power lift gate when researching my Jeep purchase. Having bought a 2011 Ltd fully loaded I don't know know how I would manage without one now!