Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Something I always wanted to ask.. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/something-i-always-wanted-to-ask-46606.html)

GCOverland 08-26-2012 02:23 PM

Something I always wanted to ask..
 
If I would get a GC with the 18"-wheels that come with the offroad-package and switch those later on with the standard 20" overland (summit) wheels, would it be necessary to have the speedometer adjusted or do both tire/wheel combinations would basically have the same diameter?

Thanks!;)

JTS97Z28 08-26-2012 02:26 PM

Re: Something I always wanted to ask..
 
Nope. The overall tire diameter is exactly the same no matter which Grand Cherokee wheel/tire setup you get. Whether it be base Laredo 17" wheels or the SRT8 20" wheels. They all have the same total diameter. Buy them and slap them on and your done. All TPMS sensors are swappable as well once you get a couple rotations on them the computer automatically recognizes them.

GCOverland 08-26-2012 02:42 PM

Re: Something I always wanted to ask..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 675324)
Nope. The overall tire diameter is exactly the same no matter which Grand Cherokee wheel/tire setup you get. Whether it be base Laredo 17" wheels or the SRT8 20" wheels. They all have the same total diameter. Buy them and slap them on and your done. All TPMS sensors are swappable as well once you get a couple rotations on them the computer automatically recognizes them.

Awesome - that's all I wanted to know, thanks!:thumbsup:

I asked because I am thinking of the option of getting a Summit with the offroad-package to get all the offroad-stuff factory-installed. However, I prefer the appearance of the 20" wheels over those 18" wheels. That would also give me the option to get some higher grade tires than those OEM ones.

Still a while 'til I'm in the market but it's good to know the options and potential obstacles.

Thanks again!

MattE 08-26-2012 06:43 PM

Re: Something I always wanted to ask..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GCOverland (Post 675331)
Awesome - that's all I wanted to know, thanks!:thumbsup:

I asked because I am thinking of the option of getting a Summit with the offroad-package to get all the offroad-stuff factory-installed. However, I prefer the appearance of the 20" wheels over those 18" wheels. That would also give me the option to get some higher grade tires than those OEM ones.

Still a while 'til I'm in the market but it's good to know the options and potential obstacles.

Thanks again!

I just purchased a 2012 Laredo, I pick it up next week. I have already purchased a set of 20" Summit wheels. I got them on ebay for $680 with shipping. They are 6 months old, off of a 2012 model. It looks as though I will have to take the tire off the 17" Laredo wheels to get to the sensors?

We use to own a 2007 Laredo. It came with the Fortera's. They could possibly be the worst tire ever made!

Aiyer 08-27-2012 12:01 AM

Re: Something I always wanted to ask..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattE (Post 675401)
It looks as though I will have to take the tire off the 17" Laredo wheels to get to the sensors?

New sensors are not that expensive. I bought a set for $70 including shipping. No dealer programming required.

ColdCase 08-27-2012 12:13 AM

Re: Something I always wanted to ask..
 
Just make sure you get OEM sensors with the frequency WK2s use (433MHz). Not all Jeeps use the same frequency sensors and folks have had some difficulty with non-OEM sensors. Look for the OEM part number, 56029398A* (* is A, B, C...). The STR8 uses a different part number because of wheel differences but the same frequency.

Tire shops can reset the TPMS so you get a reading right away. Otherwise you just need to drive about 20 minutes and the system resets itself.

MattE 08-27-2012 07:36 AM

Re: Something I always wanted to ask..
 
I am not sure if I should buy new sensors or not? I will have pull the tire off the rim to get the sensors if I want to use them on the new 20" wheel. I may have better luck selling the tires and rims separately anyway?

To be clear, my 17" wheel sensors will work on the 20's?

Scottina06 08-27-2012 08:44 AM

Look.for mvpwheels on eBay. I got a set of oem tpms from them for $70 new.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community