Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Replacement Key (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/replacement-key-46631.html)

Sgman16 08-27-2012 10:16 AM

Replacement Key

Has anyone had to replace a key? What is the process/cost? I just lost one, so I want to get a second before I lose the spare...

Tybalt39 08-27-2012 12:36 PM

Re: Replacement Key

Are you referring to the entire FOBIK, or just the metal key inside of it?

If the FOBIK, they are available on eBay for reasonable cost.

If the metal key; they can also be obtained on eBay, sometimes with the FOBIK. I don't know what the blank key sells for at a dealership, so I can't say if it is a good price.

Aiyer 08-27-2012 12:47 PM

Back when I took delivery of my vehicle, the guy going over the vehicle said that the cost of a new FOBIK was $200. The new key may have to be programmed by the dealer for your vehicle.

padgett 08-27-2012 01:40 PM

Am sure the process is in the service manual if you were allowed to buy one.

eibyer 08-27-2012 03:41 PM

I just looked up keys online and the auction says it can be programmed free IF you have 2 working keys, if only one is present then a dealer visit is required. Makes me think about getting a spare to the spare now.

Edit: Meh, up to 2011 only :(

Tybalt39 08-27-2012 06:08 PM

Apparently, only "new" FOBIKS can be programmed to the vehicle. Once a FOBIK is programmed, it cannot be used on another vehicle: EVER.

Check out this thread in a Doge forum...

Jim_in_PA 08-28-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tybalt39 (Post 675748)
Apparently, only "new" FOBIKS can be programmed to the vehicle. Once a FOBIK is programmed, it cannot be used on another vehicle: EVER.

That is my understanding, too.

j_czerwin 03-08-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 676252)

That is my understanding, too.

So, I need help with my logic here. It appears that buying a new blank 3rd key can be programmed by the car/jeep in a process involving the first two keys. I am thinking that the transponder portion of the keys work with the car to set up program mode and learn the third key. But does that process also get the third key to be able to work as a remote too where the active transmitter unlocks the car when I push the buttons? If so that is cool!
My mind immediately went to a workaround fix idea, but this post makes me think my idea won't work.
The only problem with my keys is that the buttons don't seem to unlock the car anymore. Right now I am manually locking the car with the car button before closing the door. When I unlock the car, I use a manual key and then have to die on to the car quickly to get the key in to the ignition to stop the horn/alarm from sounding off. Sucks. (Especially the extra noise from my wife saying I'm waking up the baby!)
My thought was I could buy ANY old key and pull the guts out and put in to my old housing. I would start the programming mode per instructions with the housings open on my keys. I do the first two normally, but then put the third guts in to the first physical key housing for the last step. The car wouldn't know if that was a third while key system, or a third guts in the first key blade housing. I thought I was real tricky in this thinking, but this post makes me think keys can only be programmed to a car once???
Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice!
Jay