Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   input on buying a WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/input-on-buying-a-wk-46653.html)

straty1987 08-27-2012 05:50 PM

input on buying a WK

I am going to see a 2008 WK at a dealer and wanted to get some input and some question answered since i have been jeepless for some time.

its a 2008 Modern Blue Pearl limited 5.7 and QD2 with 45200 miles asking $20555 in NY
I think i see front tow hooks in photo (kind of dark) and theirs no hitch but i see a haul/tow button, no hid but i see all the other options.

carfax says it was a 1 owner personal sold at a auction "Auto Auction Eastern Region" 7/4/11 44829 miles. then sold again at "Auto Auction Eastern Region" as a dealer vehicle 12/05/11 45143 miles and has been sitting at this dealer since then. since its offered as a certified (3 month 3k mile factory warranty and a 6yr 80k mile power train warranty) it dose not bother me but, since it has been sitting since then and gas is going up how much can i use this when haggling the price?
i was thinking of offering $16500 and going up slowly to $18500 max if its turns out to drive good and nothing odd. is this a good idea or will i insult the sale guy/dealer and get no were?

is there any odd little things i should look for missing? like were is the tire jack/iron. is there a TPMS magnet to train them?

is there any common thing that goes wrong that i should look at?

thanks for any input

Duff Daddy 08-27-2012 07:43 PM

Re: input on buying a WK

I just got an 07 wk with 60k for 16500, limited, tow hitch, and 2 owner car..... I work for a dealer and a lot of these cars are running 14-17 at auctions...... that 08 if you offer 16 will laugh, or bag you on the trade in.... 18-19 looks fair...

good luck

tfranzone 08-28-2012 11:58 AM

^^ditto

I got my 08 4.7L with 28Kmiles in October.. $15,500 one owner, traded in for a truck for work. has 44 on it now.. so for a 5.7L Limited with that mileage, If you get him to knock 2K off the price, i'd say thats fair.

JMLoughrey 08-28-2012 12:40 PM

Working in the auto industry, i can pretty much tell you, for a dealer to make 4k on a used car is almost unheard of no adays, most used cars will make the dealer about $1500 give or take, i would say as stated 18-19k would be a fair price.

Also, you need to take into consideration, when buying a used vehicle, it does cost the dealer money to be able to sell it as a certified vehicle. They have to pay there techs to look it over, replace parts, it all adds up. You never get a car from an auction and not have to put some kind of money into it.

Vehicles are also required (atleast in my state) to go through what is called a PDI. Pre-Delivery Inspection, even if it has been done at a dealer, the car still has to be done again at the new dealer even if it is 5 miles more. Again, that costs money.

So, realistically, they probably bought the car for $17k at the auction, probably had to put $1000 into it between parts, labor, certification, transportation, inspections.

straty1987 08-28-2012 11:18 PM

when to look at the WK and i know why no one has bought it. smelt like a cigar on the inside, paint chipped and rusting and sounded like a tractor when i started it.

so i looked around and looked/started/sat in a good 10 2008 and 2009 WK's with the gen 2 and hemi. in every gen 2 4.7 that i started the fan starts up high/loud and then quiets. is this normal?

I found 2 other 08's that i liked. both had the same body conduction on the outside and inside

1) 08 laredo rocky mountain. jeep green, QD2, gen 2 4.7, hitch, all skids and hooks, and heated cloth front seats. 72300 miles asking $15333 ($19810 out the door with all the fees, tax, title, ect)
it drive good but when i looked under i noticed allot of dirt, no rust or scratches

2) 08 overland. jeep green, QD2, 5.7 fully loaded. 54400 miles $23000
it driver good

leaning toward the rocky mountain just want to figure out a few things that's going on with it. like what the 4 buttons on the lower center console do, i hit them and and nothing but they light up i asked the guy and he had no clue.
kind of sad that the sales guy i had has a 2009 with the 4.7 and i was telling him things about the jeep
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$T2eC16JHJGo...4Q%7E%7E_4.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqVHJ...+w%7E%7E_4.JPG

straty1987 08-28-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff Daddy (Post 675786)
I just got an 07 wk with 60k for 16500, limited, tow hitch, and 2 owner car..... I work for a dealer and a lot of these cars are running 14-17 at auctions...... that 08 if you offer 16 will laugh, or bag you on the trade in.... 18-19 looks fair...

good luck

thanks for the input but the 08 was worth nothing it was really bad. 05-07 around me go for less i see but it dose depend on area.

straty1987 08-28-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfranzone (Post 676043)
^^ditto

I got my 08 4.7L with 28Kmiles in October.. $15,500 one owner, traded in for a truck for work. has 44 on it now.. so for a 5.7L Limited with that mileage, If you get him to knock 2K off the price, i'd say thats fair.

that's a good prices but was it with the trade it?

straty1987 08-28-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 676066)
Working in the auto industry, i can pretty much tell you, for a dealer to make 4k on a used car is almost unheard of no adays, most used cars will make the dealer about $1500 give or take, i would say as stated 18-19k would be a fair price.

Also, you need to take into consideration, when buying a used vehicle, it does cost the dealer money to be able to sell it as a certified vehicle. They have to pay there techs to look it over, replace parts, it all adds up. You never get a car from an auction and not have to put some kind of money into it.

Vehicles are also required (atleast in my state) to go through what is called a PDI. Pre-Delivery Inspection, even if it has been done at a dealer, the car still has to be done again at the new dealer even if it is 5 miles more. Again, that costs money.

So, realistically, they probably bought the car for $17k at the auction, probably had to put $1000 into it between parts, labor, certification, transportation, inspections.

i do understand what you have said but what i have seen is that dealers just leave the used jeeps on the lots dirty and not detailed or maintained and then just do it if its getting solds.

PSI sounds like the 125 point inspection around me. i have seen the list and i look at 90 % of those things myslef.

really what i am seeing and this might just be me but selling the car or jeep new or used just gets the person to the dealer the real money is made in aftermarket parts and service. dealers can sell a new vehicle at or below invoice and they still make something

08Hemi 08-28-2012 11:51 PM

The 08 was an in between model year...the VVT for the 5.7 was implemented in 09. That said, they did redesign the interior and exterior and the engine bay layout. I have 40k almost on mine, bought new on 12/08 for $33k OTD. They wanted in gone. I love it. Best money I have spent. I got the one year they did the lifetime power train warranty so I am stoked. Last year the dealer was going to give me $20k for mine as is (a lot of mods, sans my wheels). I think if you can get it for $17k you are happy, more than $19k I would walk away. Heck look at one of our members rig for that price. See "scottina06" s ride...BAD ASS!!

Duff Daddy 08-29-2012 08:03 AM

Btw the 4.7 will make noise from the fan when started. Every Dakota ram cherokee and commander with that motor will do that

dr.lee.baugh 08-29-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straty1987 (Post 676409)
leaning toward the rocky mountain just want to figure out a few things that's going on with it. like what the 4 buttons on the lower center console do, i hit them and and nothing but they light up i asked the guy and he had no clue.
kind of sad that the sales guy i had has a 2009 with the 4.7 and i was telling him things about the jeep

Those 4 buttons on the lower console are not stock equipment. You may want to double check that whatever they were wired into/for has not messed with the electronics...these vehicles can be very sensitive to electrical mods, and if it wasn't done properly could lead to all sorts of headaches...

JMLoughrey 08-29-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 676542)
Those 4 buttons on the lower console are not stock equipment. You may want to double check that whatever they were wired into/for has not messed with the electronics...these vehicles can be very sensitive to electrical mods, and if it wasn't done properly could lead to all sorts of headaches...

This!

Those are definatly not factory, and could possibly go to nothing, or could go to something.