Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   side cameras for my Jeep GC 2013. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/side-cameras-for-my-jeep-gc-2013-a-46663.html)

tipman71 08-27-2012 09:00 PM

side cameras for my Jeep GC 2013.

Hi, everyone, my first post. I'm very humbled to be part of this great community. few questions that I need help with please.

1)I'm thinking about getting the lockpick CHR550, and would like to know what would be the best place to put the side cameras?
2) what side cameras would you recommend? and where would I buy them from?
3)do you have any pictures?

Thank you.

P.S: my apologies in advance for duplicate threads. I did not know if im supposed to start a thread or a post. if im in the wrong spot, please point me to the right forum. Thank you.

FAUEE 08-28-2012 06:18 PM

Re: side cameras for my Jeep GC 2013.

Location all depends on what you want to see. Most OEM systems tend to go on the side mirrors for seeing if you're in a parking space. I can see the lines in my backup camera.

Without starting a huge argument, I'd just get a basic one on ebay that fits where you want it to. Having installed them professionally a few years back while in college, he high dollar ($100+) cameras have the same video quality (and in many cases are the exact same) as the ones that are $20-30 on ebay. In fact, I'd say the $25 ebay one in our Outlander has the same video quality as the OEM one in my Jeep. It's a little better on the brightness at night, but does get pixelly when compared to my OEM one in the Jeep.

tipman71 08-29-2012 12:40 AM

Awesome feedback thank you Fauee. and thank you for not starting a huge argument :)

DAVY27 08-29-2012 07:03 AM

i think the best place for it should be under/on top of the mirror housing. Idk bout the WK2 but for the WK if you take apart the housing there lots of room to feed it through and to the lockpic after drilling a hole for the wire.

agreed with Fauee on the camera. The $20 cam are just as good as the 100+. I bought a $25 CCD cam from ebay for my frontal camera and the view is MUCH BETTER than the barcam from lockpick. I did a quick search on ebay while considering to do it on my WK (i have 5% tints) and you can get a cam for $10? lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Promotion-Ca...ht_6508wt_1095

tipman71 08-29-2012 07:17 AM

thank you Davy27. im going to buy them right after work.

justhangin 08-29-2012 11:16 AM

I'm very interested in doing this as well. One to get a lockpick for entering Nav and such, but 2 to help in front/side viewing while offroading. I was planning to mount the side cameras on the bottom of the mirror housing like suggested.

Please keep us updated as you install, because I'm thinking I might be right along with you if I can stomach the $350 for the lockpick module itself.

Thanks for the advice about the $10 cameras on Ebay. Way better than $80-$90 per camera from the lockpick website.

eibyer 08-29-2012 11:22 AM

I took the plunge and ordered the lockpick yesterday, have to tackle the rear camera first and I would possibly want to try the front also. I'm just not sure where to route wiring for that.

DAVY27 08-29-2012 04:15 PM

IMO the frontal cam is a waste. When it's activate, it turns on if you hit <8 mph. I live in NYC so with all the stop n go traffic it's a bit annoying. I havent turn it on since the first day i tried it lol.

as for the wiring for the backup cam it's quite easy. I have a WK but it should be fairly similiar. The hardest part will be finding location for the wire to slip inside the liftgate without drilling anything. You can but i suggest to take apart the interior liftgate and the exterior panel so you know what you're drilling into.

I then ran the wire behind the rear quarter panel and ran it underneath the doorsills to the lockpick in the glovebox.

FAUEE 08-29-2012 05:04 PM

I used to agree that the front camera was a waste. Then I was talking about it with a co-worker of my father's, and they said they wished they had one, or front parking senors in their AMG SL55, before they did $25k in damage to it when they didn't quite stop in time for a parking curb.

I will admit, I doubt you'd have that issue with the Jeep though.

Truly, I think the correct way to do it is to have a 5-7" screen in the gauge cluster (like the Touareg) that will show the front camera at low speeds, but have the main infotainment screen show the backup camera.

Knightrider03m 08-29-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 676806)
I used to agree that the front camera was a waste. Then I was talking about it with a co-worker of my father's, and they said they wished they had one, or front parking senors in their AMG SL55, before they did $25k in damage to it when they didn't quite stop in time for a parking curb.

I will admit, I doubt you'd have that issue with the Jeep though.

Truly, I think the correct way to do it is to have a 5-7" screen in the gauge cluster (like the Touareg) that will show the front camera at low speeds, but have the main infotainment screen show the backup camera.

Its their own fault they crashed into a park curb. Something tells me that a camera up front wouldn't have saved that crash.

eibyer 08-29-2012 05:57 PM

Aha, I did not know about the front cam turning on at certain speed. Good to know, thank you. I'm not sure if I even want to do that but there's a possibility given I now have the option. I downloaded the OEM backup cam install instructions just to get an idea where to route wires.

Tybalt39 08-29-2012 07:10 PM

Regarding type of cameras...

I sell video cameras for a living. RV cameras are a sideline.

The CCD cameras will have a superior picture, but will show "smear" in a vertical line if they get too bright of an image (reflections off of chrome, etc) in a vehicular installation. RV backup cameras have had this issue when the driver used them to monitor his tow-behind vehicle (windshield glare).

CMoS cameras don't have the smear issue, but they aren't as sensitive or as clear. While CMoS camera are narrowing the performance gap, CCDs still have the edge in clarity. The really inexpensive cameras will be CMoS based ($5 or less per standard-resolution sensor in quantity). CCDs cost more, but are still available at a reasonable price.

I believe the backup camera from Chryco is a CMoS camera with nearIR LEDs around it for night-illumination (CMoS cameras have good nearIR sensitivity).