Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   3 season vs. all-season tires, who spec what? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/3-season-vs-all-season-tires-who-spec-what-46712.html)

NHman 08-28-2012 07:07 PM

3 season vs. all-season tires, who spec what?

I know the difference between the two (summer vs. all-season) but it seems most dealers order the all-season tires. Yes, custom order and pick what's best for you. What did you order and any regrets?

Part of the planning process should I go the SRT8 route. I've owned cars in the past with a summer only setup. Yes it does cost more to have a second setup. But often the performance, summer and winter, is worth it. Most likely this will be the path I take again.

mjw930 08-28-2012 09:39 PM

Re: 3 season vs. all-season tires, who spec what?

The dealers don't order the 4 season tires, that's what comes standard. What's insane is they charge $900 for the 3 season option but the tires have essentually the same list price. They must have gotten a killer deal on the 4 season tires from Pirelli.

trelos78 08-29-2012 06:30 AM

It all depends where you live.......if you're in Texas you don't need all seasons lol. I live in the Northeast and all season was the only way to go. I upgraded to 20X10 srt8 replicas with hankook ventus st tires. Best tire I have ever seen: smooth, quiet, and sticks to the ground like glue and it's all season!!!! You can look at my other post to see pics of the car and tires.

mjw930 08-29-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trelos78 (Post 676510)
It all depends where you live.......if you're in Texas you don't need all seasons lol. I live in the Northeast and all season was the only way to go. I upgraded to 20X10 srt8 replicas with hankook ventus st tires. Best tire I have ever seen: smooth, quiet, and sticks to the ground like glue and it's all season!!!! You can look at my other post to see pics of the car and tires.

The 4 season tires are standard on ALL SRT8's. The 3 season tires are an OPTION regardless where you live. This is for the SRT8, there are no tire options on the regular GC's, you get what they ship.

HAMMMERHEAD 08-29-2012 04:10 PM

I bet many owners that have P-Zeros wont be buying them again when they are replacing the original set in 15K miles....especially at $500 a corner.

barish93 08-29-2012 07:54 PM

I would love to get 15K miles on a set of tires. I just hit 11K miles on my truck and my tires are just about shot. And they are even the all-season ones too.

HAMMMERHEAD 08-30-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barish93 (Post 676882)
I would love to get 15K miles on a set of tires. I just hit 11K miles on my truck and my tires are just about shot. And they are even the all-season ones too.

The Verdes should last a lot longer than the Zero's. They should be good for 25K miles.

The P-Zeros have a wear rating of 220. The all season Scorpion have a wear rating of 520

NHman 08-30-2012 06:39 AM

So I guess the question should read, "how many opt for the summer only tires?". I suspect all of the performance data from the magazines are based on the summer/3 season tires.

Mongoose9400 08-30-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD (Post 676988)
The Verdes should last a lot longer than the Zero's. They should be good for 25K miles.

The P-Zeros have a wear rating of 220. The all season Scorpion have a wear rating of 520

Copied over from another thread I posted in:

The 3-Season has a tread wear of 220 AA A
The All-Season has a tread wear of 520 A A

Some background info:
Treadwear Grades

UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

So it would be my understanding that if you took the tread wear rating of each tire multiplied by 7200 miles you would get the predicted tire life.

(220/100) x 7200 = 15,840 miles for the 3 Season
(520/100) x 7200 = 37,440 miles for the All Seasons

The numbers seem inline to my observations with my all seasons and from my earlier educated guesses.

fivespeed6 08-31-2012 12:16 PM

I have a question now....being I'm in NY, what do I do for tires for the "4th season"?

I have not seen any mention of any option.

Mongoose9400 08-31-2012 01:12 PM

The OEM all seasons work great in snow IMO. Also some Canadian members have stated the same. Some live in the NW territory, way up there, and have snow for many months and the all season worked great for them.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

kbench55 08-31-2012 04:03 PM

I have the all season here in Canada and they were excellent in the snow. The biggest thing I noticed was to put it in snow mode as it starts with minimal wheel spin on the icy corners. I did not have any issues in the snow or on the ice this winter.