Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   Can I mix tire types on a 4x4 Laredo if the tread left is similar? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/can-i-mix-tire-types-on-a-4x4-laredo-if-the-tread-left-is-similar-46714.html)

jman799 08-28-2012 07:38 PM

Can I mix tire types on a 4x4 Laredo if the tread left is similar?

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo. I've read that it can be a bad idea to mix tires on 4x4 as it can throw things off. My front tires are currently worn very unevenly (bald on the outer edges) and I just got what seemed to be a decent deal on some used tires (with rims) until I found some big cracks in the inside and outside sidewalls of one of the 4. Since my back tires still have some decent tread left I'm thinking about taking the two best used tires I just bought (Goodyear) and putting them on the front and then keeping the 3rd good used one so I have a full-sized spare. I'm wondering if having GoodYears on the front and Toyo's on the back would cause problems even if the tread left is similar? Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

TJXJWJ 08-29-2012 08:34 PM

Re: Can I mix tire types on a 4x4 Laredo if the tread left is similar?

The brand doesn't matter...it's all about diameter. If the overall diameter and circumference of the tires you're using are the same, you'll be fine. Personally, I would only run 4 identical tires on mine...I've read some horror stories, but you never know what others do (or don't do) as far as maintenance or abuse.

cheapjeep 08-29-2012 08:47 PM

Best answer is no.

jman799 08-30-2012 02:59 PM

Really appreciate the input. I think I'll measure them up and see how they compare to the back two and then decide what route I want to go.

fibs 08-30-2012 06:47 PM

it wont matter, it will just look dumb. and depending on the tcase you have it wouldnt even matter if they are different size

cheapjeep 08-30-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fibs (Post 677381)
it wont matter, it will just look dumb. and depending on the tcase you have it wouldnt even matter if they are different size

Don't know where you got that info from but it's b.s. Both WJ cases are extremely sensitive to tire size variations.The 247 won't show it as much as the 242 but the end result is the same.Try putting a set of worn tires one one axle and a set of new ones on the other(the difference doesn't have to be that great) with a 242 and you'll have to use your foot to kick it out of 4wd it will be bound up so bad. It will work for a little while but it will cost you big in the end.

jman799 08-31-2012 12:54 PM

I have the 2000 Grand Cherokee V8 which has the 4wd that is 'always on'. What about if the tread remaining is very similar? The tires I'm thinking about putting on the front have pretty much the exact same amount of tread left as the ones on the back. They are also the same size 245/70R16. Do different types have different dimensions or would be enough to through it off?

cheapjeep 08-31-2012 09:49 PM

The thing is every manufacturer's outside diameter varies for the same size to begin with. I'd measure around the outside of all your tires and try to be sure they're within a 1/4 inch of each other at most.I don't know what the acceptable variance for Jeep is but this seems reasonable.Here's some good info from tire rack.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18

jman799 09-04-2012 03:45 PM

Thanks Cheapjeep! Very helpful!

JeepMe 09-04-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 677504)
Both WJ cases are extremely sensitive to tire size variations.The 247 won't show it as much as the 242 but the end result is the same.Try putting a set of worn tires one one axle and a set of new ones on the other(the difference doesn't have to be that great) with a 242 and you'll have to use your foot to kick it out of 4wd it will be bound up so bad. It will work for a little while but it will cost you big in the end.

Maybe I'm wrong but on the 242, wouldn't it depend on what mode you had selected? As long as it was in 2WD or 4WD Full Time, shouldn't you be ok?

From my understanding, 4WD Full Time makes the TC act like an open differential. It provides power to all 4 wheels, but once one slips there's no power to any of the other tires. I know that with an open differential, you can have different tire sizes w/out any negative effects (hence why a some vehicle's donut isn't the same rolling diameter and the regular tires).

It seems to me that as long as you kept the 242 out of 4WD Part Time or 4LO, you would be fine with slightly different sized rolling diameters on the tires. Am I wrong here?

fibs 09-04-2012 10:52 PM

if you have can keep your tcase in 2wd you can run whatever size tires you want. end of story

fibs 09-04-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 679278)
Maybe I'm wrong but on the 242, wouldn't it depend on what mode you had selected? As long as it was in 2WD or 4WD Full Time, shouldn't you be ok?

From my understanding, 4WD Full Time makes the TC act like an open differential. It provides power to all 4 wheels, but once one slips there's no power to any of the other tires. I know that with an open differential, you can have different tire sizes w/out any negative effects (hence why a some vehicle's donut isn't the same rolling diameter and the regular tires).

It seems to me that as long as you kept the 242 out of 4WD Part Time or 4LO, you would be fine with slightly different sized rolling diameters on the tires. Am I wrong here?

no hes wrong