Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Disappointed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/disappointed-46784.html)

CatMan879 08-29-2012 06:48 PM

Disappointed

I just replaced my headlights with the projectors from AM-autosports I painted them and everything looks great. But the light output sucks I don't know if its because I am using 8000k bulbs or the housing sucks or if I just got use to 8000k's in halogen housing my hid fogs seem to over power any light the lows put out. Any ideas on this I am thinking again of getting the clear lenses and possible going with 6000k. I have everything adjusted properly so I don't know what's wrong could it also be the bulbs I got from DDM tuning I should've just went with my gut and went with a vendor I don't kno what I was thinking. Any suggestions guys thank you.

Chaoul1 08-29-2012 08:46 PM

Re: Disappointed

I heard that the output sucks on them, that's why I stayed away from them. Can you show us pictures of the Light Output?

Scottina06 08-29-2012 10:12 PM

its the bulbs. Get some 5000K from xenondepot

CatMan879 08-30-2012 01:29 AM

I can't get a picture at the moment I am stuck on the ship for the night, I will tomorrow night once it gets dark. And Scott I like the look of the 8 or even 6ks with the 3k fogs imo it looks 10x better with the blue and yellow together. Idk I guess New bulbs and ill try the clear lens see what happens.

DAVY27 08-30-2012 06:14 AM

i would like to see the pics of the output as well.

what do you mean by clear lens? Did you paint the plastic lens that covers the headlight so your headlight is completely black?

CatMan879 08-30-2012 09:18 AM

Explanation off of the retrofit source

"Most OEM projectors out there come standard with what is known as "fresnel" lenses. These projector lenses have circular lines molded into their surface, and are often produced with less than optically clear glass. So what? Well the fresnel lines and frosted/ translucent glass dim the output and soften the beam pattern so the projectors are not performing to their full performance and aesthetic capabilities. A true clear lens will help unleash the true potential of the projector compared to the "detuned" stock lenses. As mentioned above- think of a projector just like any other original part on your car, of course there will always be an aftermarket performance/aesthetic upgrade available.
As an upgrade to enhance the real and aesthetic performance of headlight projectors, optically clear projector lenses are becoming more popular than ever. Marginal benefit compared to cost, a clear lens swap is worth every penny compared to some other component upgrades."

And I only painted the chrome on the inside of the lens and I did not paint the reflective bowl behind the high beam.

Chaoul1 08-30-2012 12:11 PM

Can you reopen them and change the lense out with a clear one?

CatMan879 08-30-2012 12:45 PM

Yes I used the windo seal stuff that's real easy to open back up.

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-11-2012 11:50 PM

combo of a crappy housing and a poor choice of bulb temp..... higher the temp, the less usable light