Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   loud noise on startup and initial movement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/loud-noise-on-startup-and-initial-movement-4684.html)

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-10-2009 01:56 PM

loud noise on startup and initial movement

hey guys i have a 05 laredo with a 4.7 in it. every 10 or so startups i get a rough start and it continues until my first quarter mile of my drive, until the end of my block or so. my mechanic counldnt get it to do it, but it happens alot. it kind of sounds like the engine is over reving like it is out of gear, but it isnt the transmission. after that initial noise, the engine purrs and drives amazing. if i start it up and let it sit for a minute or two it doesnt do it while i drive. it does it regardless of outside temperature. could it be something with the oil pump? i am trying to figure this problem out and would appreciate any help that is offered. thanks!

blackpepper 12-10-2009 02:00 PM

Re: loud noise on startup and initial movement

Electric fan maybe? That's my best guess...

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-10-2009 02:02 PM

it does kind of sound like it is sucking in too much air like a loud fan, i will give it a check. thanks!

Scottina06 12-10-2009 03:55 PM

check the EGR...its the copper colored tube at the back of the intake manifold. It sounds like the seal is lose...but seats itself after it heats up. The tubes are not expensive...but kinda hard to put on.

05quadratrac 12-10-2009 05:50 PM

I get this problem, like when I drive the first few blocks and especially the first hundred or so yards it sounds like a leaf blower. I heard its a fan thing, actually I think it stopped since I put in my K&N intake, or maybe the intake and exhaust are just drowning it out.

blackpepper 12-10-2009 05:56 PM

when it's 105* out and I remote start with the a/c preset, I get the fan noise on my Wk but my old Zj it used to happen all the time.

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-10-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05quadratrac (Post 114893)
I get this problem, like when I drive the first few blocks and especially the first hundred or so yards it sounds like a leaf blower. I heard its a fan thing, actually I think it stopped since I put in my K&N intake, or maybe the intake and exhaust are just drowning it out.

that is the exact sound, i guess i just need the intake the drown it out. i already have the magnaflow exhaust :D i just wanted to make sure it wasnt serious. i will also check for that leak the next day we get that isnt snowing with 30mph winds.

05quadratrac 12-11-2009 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 114996)
that is the exact sound, i guess i just need the intake the drown it out. i already have the magnaflow exhaust :D i just wanted to make sure it wasnt serious. i will also check for that leak the next day we get that isnt snowing with 30mph winds.

haha Yeah it would be so loud I thought I would set off car alarms with the air noise but it would always go away after a block or two. I've never had any issues from it and its been doing that for as long as I can remember but always when the engines cold. If it happens again with the intake i'll let you know but I dont remember hearing the noise since I installed the intake Sunday. Either way i'd get the intake if I was you it makes a huge difference. I put it on before the muffler so I had a chance to hear the intake alone, it sounded unbelievable I wouldnt have thought an intake could change the sound of a car so much. I liked the sound of it so much when I got on the gas I almost debated adding the magnaflow. Top end power seems to have improved a lot I really noticed it tonight, the engine breaths so much better now.

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-11-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05quadratrac (Post 115038)
haha Yeah it would be so loud I thought I would set off car alarms with the air noise but it would always go away after a block or two. I've never had any issues from it and its been doing that for as long as I can remember but always when the engines cold. If it happens again with the intake i'll let you know but I dont remember hearing the noise since I installed the intake Sunday. Either way i'd get the intake if I was you it makes a huge difference. I put it on before the muffler so I had a chance to hear the intake alone, it sounded unbelievable I wouldnt have thought an intake could change the sound of a car so much. I liked the sound of it so much when I got on the gas I almost debated adding the magnaflow. Top end power seems to have improved a lot I really noticed it tonight, the engine breaths so much better now.

what intake do you have on it?

05quadratrac 12-11-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 115151)

The K&N model #63-something. Its the one that replaces the air resonator thing on top of the engine that says 4.7 on it. Im really happy with it and it was an easy install. I think I paid like 250 or 260 shipped for it.

05quadratrac 12-11-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 115151)

The K&N model #63-something. Its the one that replaces the air resonator thing on top of the engine that says 4.7 on it. Im really happy with it and it was an easy install. I think I paid like 250 or 260 shipped for it. Here it goes at idle before the exhaust.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/x...aKE_intake.jpg