Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Akebono upgrade!

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  CameronG 
#1 ·
Wish I would have known about this when I got the jeep, I replaced rotors and pads up front shortly after buying it, and now the teves calipers and my hard braking habits have messed up another set of rotors. So, I just received my order from R1 Concepts, a set of their premium drilled and slotted rotors, posi quiet ceramic pads, and the Akebono calipers with brackets! Can't wait to get this done, they have been squealing lately too and I can feel the grove being cut into one of the rotors. Pictures to come!

#2 ·
Great mod buddy! Just don't be alarmed if the pedal feels slightly spongier after the conversion.The '99 felt softer after the conversion and the brakes on mine have always felt that way but they stop great. Just the way they are I guess.

#3 ·
Good to know, thanks for the heads up Dave! Babysitting the nieces this morning and the wife ran off with the Jeep, maybe this afternoon things will finally start happening.

#4 ·
Ok, so the Jeep didn't make it home til later on Saturday, and Sunday we went to visit the wife's grandma so finally today I get to work it! Decided to clean up the wife's car while she was gone, inside and out, here's that lovely (cough) cruiser all shined up:

Here are the brake parts I ordered. I had to pull them out and at least look at them, if you can't tell I'm a little anxious to get this done :D :

Installation pics to come!

#6 ·
Done! I will load my story and pics in the morning, everything went pretty smooth though.

#7 ·
Yay! They are installled! Now this is what brakes should be! Those Teves calipers seem worthless next to the akebonos. The install went smooth, only a few minor issues. The first 3 slide pins on the old rotors came out just fine, the 4th proved that I wasn't using quite the right hex key size, but after rounding it I was able to pound a different size in and remove the pin. I see why these pins seize up so bad on the Teves, they are exposed to the elements at one point! Unless mine was missing a boot maybe I'm not sure about that. Also, thanks to road salt im sure I had to beat the rotors to get them to fall off the hubs. Coated everything up in anti-seize, installed the new rotors, brakects, pads and calipers and we are back in business! You were right Dave they do feel a little spongy, but overall they seem much more even in braking force than the old setup. Time for pics!

The old parts, damn road salt rusting my truck away to nothing.....

The hub itself doesn't look too bad, the rotor seems to be what was rusting away. It was like a rust rainstorm when I was hitting it with the hammer to get it off.

New rotor installed! I'm very happy with the look of the R1 concepts premium rotors, they seem quite solid too. Hopefully they e-coating will help prevent rust, at least for a while...

All bolted up and ready to rock! I considered painting the calipers but they seem pretty nice from the start.

Heres what separates the crap from the good. The Teves uses a combined slide pin and bolt, the akebono has a separate bolt. Plus its a lot heavier duty and the slides are protected by a nice boot.

There you have it! I wanted to get some shots of it with the wheels on but the spokes are so large on my silverblades its hard to see them. Anyone who needs pads/rotors and currently has the Teves calipers I would highly recommend going the distance and upgrading to the Akebonos. Easy job to to and they are a much better design. Now I will know I drive too hard if I warp these! :lol:

#9 ·
Go to forums and then down to the vendor section. Find R1 Concepts and you can PM them, they are very helpful and I'd think they would ship to canada but Im not 100% certain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.