Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Audio Controls (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/steering-wheel-audio-controls-46861.html)

brentwoodkris 08-31-2012 11:48 AM

Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Hey guys,

I've been experiencing this issue for the past month or so but it's becoming frustrating enough that I'll finally post it. The left side radio buttons under the steering wheel in my 05 WK are malfunctioning. Normally the center button flips through my presets, but recently when I do this, it acts a little bit more like I'm hitting one of the top/bottom scan buttons. Admittedly, I use these buttons A LOT but just want to make sure that they're actually worn out before I go to the cost/labor of buying/installing a new set, which I'm sure aren't cheap.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

JMLoughrey 09-04-2012 01:29 PM

Re: Steering Wheel Audio Controls

I can tell you swapping them yourself is a 10 min job.

paroxysym 09-05-2012 07:24 AM

mine does it in my 07 as well.. i kind of just deal with it for now

brentwoodkris 09-05-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paroxysym (Post 679405)
mine does it in my 07 as well.. i kind of just deal with it for now

Yeah but it's a pain in the a$$ when I want to flip through all 12 presets to find something good. Otherwise I wouldn't mind.

alpine24 07-29-2013 02:01 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but do you guys wind up replacing the switch or is it something that can be fixed? Where did you guys get the part if you did wind up replacing it (and how much $$, approximately)? A part number would be very helpful as well. Thanks.

brentwoodkris 07-29-2013 02:17 PM

The parts become worn and cannot be fixed to my knowledge. They can however, be replaced. I did the replacement 2 days ago and was about a 10-15 min job. The hardest part was squeezing the tabs on the switches simultaneously so you could get them out without breaking the backing on the steering wheel.

I got mine on J4J for around $35 and I was actually the one who had them add the part to their website. Here's the part numbers from my invoice:

Steering Wheel Switches 4685729AB_4685728AB

alpine24 07-29-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 866592)
The parts become worn and cannot be fixed to my knowledge. They can however, be replaced. I did the replacement 2 days ago and was about a 10-15 min job. The hardest part was squeezing the tabs on the switches simultaneously so you could get them out without breaking the backing on the steering wheel.

I got mine on J4J for around $35 and I was actually the one who had them add the part to their website. Here's the part numbers from my invoice:

Steering Wheel Switches 4685729AB_4685728AB

Awesome. Thanks. You did have to remove the airbag to gain access correct?

brentwoodkris 07-30-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpine24 (Post 866751)
Awesome. Thanks. You did have to remove the airbag to gain access correct?

Yes, I removed the airbag but never disconnected the physical wires. After disconnecting the negative on the main battery and letting the capacitors discharge, the front of the wheel (airbag included) removes with just 2x10mm bolts behind the wheel (you have to turn the wheel to the adjustment point so you can access them with a socket.

With those two bolts removed, you can pull off the airbag have have access to the 4 backing screws. The 4 backing screws (Phillips #2) need to be removed to get real access to the radio controls, which is obscured by the spokes of the wheel.

Once the backing is loose, it's a matter of disconnecting the electric connector and using a set of pliers to squeeze the sides of the buttons to get them out. Installation is reverse of removal.

alpine24 07-30-2013 10:10 PM

Huge help. Thank you. I have the part ordered and will be replacing the switch this weekend. My radio will randomly change station presets and I believe it's because the switch on the left is broken. I can't even press the middle button at all. Hopefully this will fix it. Thanks again.

brentwoodkris 08-01-2013 09:47 AM

I was surprised at how soft and responsive the new buttons are! I bought my WK at 60k miles they were always pretty stiff. By 80k, they had an audible "click" and/or metallic clink sound each time the ones on the left side were pressed. By 90k, the left buttons all did whatever they wanted if you attempted to click any one of them.

The new buttons are super sensitive and don't make a sound when pressed. They're AWESOME!

greenwayer 08-19-2013 12:40 AM

This same problem happened to me and I figured out an easy fix which worked quite well for me. I used a flathead screwdriver to pry the black button piece out of the black surrounding frame. I then discovered the little metal tab inside was broken, purchased a new switch, from which I took out the tab and simply pushed it in and put the buttons back. Good as new! 1-2 hour job of replacing the entire switch which I did in 5 minutes without taking the airbag out or the steering wheel off. Just turn the steering wheel to whatever is the best angle to do the work.

brentwoodkris 08-19-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwayer (Post 878592)
This same problem happened to me and I figured out an easy fix which worked quite well for me. I used a flathead screwdriver to pry the black button piece out of the black surrounding frame. I then discovered the little metal tab inside was broken, purchased a new switch, from which I took out the tab and simply pushed it in and put the buttons back. Good as new! 1-2 hour job of replacing the entire switch which I did in 5 minutes without taking the airbag out or the steering wheel off. Just turn the steering wheel to whatever is the best angle to do the work.

The steering wheel doesn't need to come off (that would require a puller). Even waiting more than the 2 minutes the owner's manual calls for, the process should take under 20 minutes from start to finish if you have the right tools..You don't even have to take out the airbag, just disconnect the wire and pull it out of the way. If you bought the new switch, may as well have installed the new piece and done it right.