Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

power steering leaking

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  01grand 
#1 ·
2000 Grand Cherokee. Every time I make a sharp turn my power steering fluid leaks. When the levels are low it makes a whining noise. We have to keep filling the fluid about once a week. A shade tree mechanic says that the rubber seal on the hose is bad and needs to be replaced. But they don't sell the rubber seal by itself. What is the name of the connection or piece (the kit) and is this the real reason my power steering fluid is leaking?
:confused:

#2 ·
Sorry, i forgot to bring my glass ball to see what your problem is:lol:
At least you should have some signs of where the fluid is coming from. Many times its from the pressure hose connection to the power steering pump. Seems that a modified (better) hose is available from the stealer.

#3 ·
I've got the same problem, runs out even when parked but only to the base of the reservoir.

Top ups weekly required, regardless of mileage. I cleaned the pump and block up real good so just trying to find out where it is leaking. But since the fluid is clear it is a PITA to trace.

#4 ·
I've got the same problem, runs out even when parked but only to the base of the reservoir.

Top ups weekly required, regardless of mileage. I cleaned the pump and block up real good so just trying to find out where it is leaking. But since the fluid is clear it is a PITA to trace.
There should be a seal between the reservoir and the master cylinder housing. Could that be the problem?

#5 ·
It is highly likely that the fitting between the pressure hose and the steering pump leaks, I had the same problem on my 2001. There is a redesigned fitting, you can get the new hose assembly at the dealer no problem or many of the aftermarket hoses are also the better design, you can get it online at justforjeeps.com. Trust me if its leaking from there it is more than just the seal/o ring that is bad, I tried just replacing that but it still leaked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.