Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Grand Cherokee letters vs chrome side moulding (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/grand-cherokee-letters-vs-chrome-side-moulding-46940.html)

RageOfFury 09-02-2012 11:12 AM

Grand Cherokee letters vs chrome side moulding

I was wondering how difficult is it to install the GRAND CHEROKEE lettering on the doors. I want to do it, but have a feeling it will end up looking crooked/not straight. Are the letters all attached together? If someone has done it I would appreciate your feedback/advice.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

montgb 09-02-2012 11:35 AM

Re: Grand Cherokee letters vs chrome side moulding

All the letters are stuck on a plastic strip. I recommend using some painters tape as a guide.

My lettering is still sitting on my shelf since I'm debating just leaving it blank.

Pillbucket 09-02-2012 11:44 AM

There is a thread already here with the measurements....just a second and I will find it.

I got it!! Thread

And post # 26 in that thread has the measurements. Post

RageOfFury 09-02-2012 11:50 AM

Thanks for the replies :)

So you don't have to place each letter one by one? They all go on in one piece? if so then that's a relief.

montgb would you mind taking a pic of the plastic strip the letters are attached too? Would really appreciate it. Thanks! ;)

JTS97Z28 09-02-2012 03:36 PM

Do a search there are soooo many threads on this. Search my username I have a big thread on doing this exact mod with pics. Its not hard to do.

Dabitz 09-04-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 678314)
Thanks for the replies :)

So you don't have to place each letter one by one? They all go on in one piece? if so then that's a relief.

montgb would you mind taking a pic of the plastic strip the letters are attached too? Would really appreciate it. Thanks! ;)

No, all go in at once. There are two plastic strips, one on the front and one on the back (adhesive) side. Remove the one in the back, place on vehicle and make sure they are properly attached then remove the front plastic strip.

eibyer 09-04-2012 09:50 AM

I've been eyeing this mod for a while but I'm afraid I'd botch it and then it will look ugly and then the wife will look at me ugly... :/

Natedawg9640 09-04-2012 11:07 AM

Another tip would be to give yourself a pre-determined baseline to follow. lay a piece of painters tape along the bottom edge of where the letters are to go. make sure the tape is straight and where you want it and then when you put on the letters, you'll have a landmark to follow. then rip the tape off when you're done.

GBJeep 09-04-2012 11:22 AM

What I did was once the measurements were determined I used small pieces of the blue painters tape attached to top of the strip so the letters were "hung" in place & straight. I then remove the bottom strip of clear tape to attach the letters and removed the top along with the blue tape.

RageOfFury 09-06-2012 05:03 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've ordered the letters. Wish me luck! lol

xJoshxx 09-06-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 680154)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've ordered the letters. Wish me luck! lol

Make a how to on removing the Chrome side moldings! :thumbsup:

GBJeep 09-06-2012 06:15 PM

Removing the chrome moldings is easy.....it's removing the 3M tape residue that required the work!