Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 S-Limited (or Altitude) for USA? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-s-limited-or-altitude-for-usa-46959.html)

jondotcom 09-02-2012 11:38 PM

2014 S-Limited (or Altitude) for USA?

Hi Everyone,

My first post here!

I've been lurking for about a month now trying to soak up as many 2014 rumors as I can. With all of the updates Milous has been providing (thanks by the way!!!), I am excited about the prospect of switching over from my 2005 Dodge Magnum to a JGC! I'm hoping reviews of the new 8-speed are good, and HEMI mileage can be improved... and it'll all be but a done deal!

I wanted to throw out the idea of an S-Limited 2014 model for the U.S. market. I have seen a few others mention this in other threads, though I'm curious about how possible this is, and any thoughts as to why it's only available in Europe.

I do like the Altitude edition (any ideas on whether that is coming back for 2014?), but the S-Limited seems like exactly what I want, especially given the Harmon Kardon audio system. Milous recently mentioned the HK audio will be coming to MY14 Overlands, but I am not keen on the chrome or other "plush" features of those models. My ideal S-Limited/Altitude:

- HEMI 5.7L
- 4x2 (hoping to eke out a bit better mileage, lower maintenance & insurance)
- S-Limited/Altitude styling package with White Paint
- 20" Smoke or Matte Aluminum rims (not as big a fan of the gloss black, but I'd take 'em)
- H/K Audio System
- Alcantra seats

So, what are your thoughts? What's the likelihood of an S-Limited in the U.S.? What are the differences between the Altitude and the S-Limited? What are the chances of each of these appearing in MY14 or beyond?

FAUEE 09-03-2012 08:41 AM

Re: 2014 S-Limited (or Altitude) for USA?

Truthfully? Almost 0. The S-Limited would hugely negatively impact sales of the SRT8. It's offered overseas in countries where owning an SRT8 is nigh impossible due to taxes, fuel, etc.

But here in the US, it's attainable. Offering the S-Limited here would take away a lot of potential SRT buyers in the only market that's a volume seller for them. Given that the WK2 SRT8 hasn't exactly sold great so far, I think the last thing they want to do is reduce demand for it even further.

Scottina06 09-03-2012 09:27 AM

Back up your claims with some facts. The numbers I've seen are great for the srt8.

FAUEE 09-03-2012 04:56 PM

According to cars.com there's 547 '12 SRT8s for sale right now (only 25 of them are used btw). That's almost 20% of the total US production of 3800.

Regardless, I just don't see them making another model that would take sales from a limited production model.

jondotcom 09-03-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 678585)
Truthfully? Almost 0. The S-Limited would hugely negatively impact sales of the SRT8. It's offered overseas in countries where owning an SRT8 is nigh impossible due to taxes, fuel, etc.

But here in the US, it's attainable. Offering the S-Limited here would take away a lot of potential SRT buyers in the only market that's a volume seller for them. Given that the WK2 SRT8 hasn't exactly sold great so far, I think the last thing they want to do is reduce demand for it even further.

There are roughly 20K reasons the SRT8 isn't feasible for me. I think people who are looking for the 6.4L and total performance package will get the SRT8 no matter what. It doesn't seem like there's a real substitute.

I do wish some of the features/options were at least made available on Altitude/Limited trim models such as the H/K system. I get the Chrysler folks have a very specific product step-up strategy in place, but it is a weird kind of gap between Altitude and SRT8. And that's assuming the Altitude is even offered in MY14.

Milous 09-03-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 678748)
Regardless, I just don't see them making another model that would take sales from a limited production model.

Apples and oranges. I doubt that an S-Limited model would take a single sale away from the SRT, it has only a couple minor "SRT" features and none of the performance features. Not to mention that it's a package that adds only a few thousand $ to the Limited, far far less money than the SRT8.

QWKC6 09-18-2012 06:41 PM

I'd be in the market for an S-Limited.

scooterha 09-29-2012 07:18 AM

If Jeep had paid attention to the threads on here about the love of the S-Limited, (I know the marketers for Jeep cant set and watch the threads here all day) they could have dropped the Altitude for the 13 model year and reintroduced it as a 2014 model, with the current S-limited interior with the new technology. I don't think they realize how many sales that model would have here in the US. If that happened my a$$ would be at the dealership as soon as an order date was announced LOL

trent88 10-30-2012 10:55 PM

would absolutely love an S-Limited. i dont understand why Jeep/Chrysler dont make this an option for the USA. i think it would be a huge hit!