ignition key jammed in lock
Hi folks, I wonder if i can get some help with my WJ ignition key stuck in the lock.I have looked on the internet and the fixs shown still wont help me.The key works fine except it wont turn back that last little bit so as to release.I have removed the lock barrel and it works fine in my hand but slide it back in and we are back to no release.:confused:
Re: ignition key jammed in lock
You probably have to adjust the park/lock cable which goes from the ignition switch to the transmission lever. The adjustment procedure follows here below, only not able to add some explaning pictures as well.
ADJUSTMENTS - BRAKE TRANSMISSION
The park interlock cable is part of the brake/shift
lever interlock system. Correct cable adjustment is
important to proper interlock operation. The gear
shift and park lock cables must both be correctly
adjusted in order to shift out of PARK.
(1) Remove floor console as necessary for access to
the brake transmission shift interlock cable. (Refer to
23 - BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE -
(2) Shift the transmission into the PARK position.
(3) Turn ignition switch to LOCK position.
sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position.
Cable will not adjust correctly in any
(4) Pull cable lock button up to release cable (Fig.
(5) Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by
pushing cable rearward and releasing.
(6) Push lock button down until it snaps in place.
BTSI FUNCTION CHECK
(1) Verify removal of ignition key allowed in PARK
(2) When the shift lever is in PARK, and the shift
handle push-button is in the out position, the ignition
key cylinder should rotate freely from off to lock.
When the shifter is in any other position, the ignition
key should not rotate from off to lock.
(3) Shifting out of PARK should be possible when
the ignition key cylinder is in the off position.
(4) Shifting out of PARK should not be possible
while applying normal push-button force, and ignition
key cylinder is in the run or start positions,
unless the foot brake pedal is depressed approximately
1/2 inch (12mm).
(5) Shifting out of PARK should not be possible
when the ignition key cylinder is in the accessory or
(6) Shifting between any gear and NEUTRAL, or
PARK, may be done without depressing foot brake
with ignition switch in run or start positions.
(7) The floor shifter lever and gate positions
should be in alignment with all transmission detent
(8) Engine starts must be possible with shifter
lever in PARK or NEUTRAL gate positions only.
Engine starts must not be possible in any other gate
positions other than PARK or NEUTRAL.
(9) With shifter lever handle push-button not
depressed and lever detent in:
PARK position- apply forward force on center of
handle and remove pressure. Engine start must be
PARK position- apply rearward force on center
of handle and remove pressure. Engine start must be
NEUTRAL position- engine start must be possible.
NEUTRAL position, engine running and brakes
applied- Apply forward force on center of shift handle.
Transmission should not be able to shift into
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community