Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Should I back out of a deal for a 2012 GC Pentastar? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/should-i-back-out-of-a-deal-for-a-2012-gc-pentastar-47018.html)

MattE 09-03-2012 11:55 PM

Should I back out of a deal for a 2012 GC Pentastar?

Some opinions / thoughts would be appreciated!

Here's the deal so to speak...

I live in Canada and have made a deal on a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 2,000 miles, just south of the border (U.S). There was a 10K savings by purchasing in the U.S vs Canada. Totally ridiculous...I know! The down side is that I will have no warranty when I bring the GC back to Canada. I have had many newer vehicles and have rarely used any warranty at all. I have imported a two Chrysler products (from the U.S) in the past and never had any issue with any of the vehicles or any newer vehicle for that matter period.

This brings me to the issue with the 3.6L Pentastar and it's head issue. From doing some reading it sounds to be a low percentage of the engines are having this lifter head issue. Without getting in to details, the GC is paid for already but we have yet to pick it up. We plan to pick it up in roughly two weeks. The dealer has made some gaffs in the transaction and has stated that they will refund our money if we aren't happy with the deal.

So my question is...how many people think I should bail on the deal based on the head issue the the Penastar? I was told by the service dept that the it would cost me 1,800K to change one head (lower $ than I expected). I was also told by the service dept that the issue is with the 2011 models and they haven't seen any 2012 model years with the issue. Should I avoid this possible headache or are the odds in my favour and not worry about it?

Thanks for reading over my dilemma!

jp467 09-04-2012 12:31 AM

Re: Should I back out of a deal for a 2012 GC Pentastar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattE (Post 678889)
Some opinions / thoughts would be appreciated!

Here's the deal so to speak...

I live in Canada and have made a deal on a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 2,000 miles, just south of the border (U.S). There was a 10K savings by purchasing in the U.S vs Canada. Totally ridiculous...I know! The down side is that I will have no warranty when I bring the GC back to Canada. I have had many newer vehicles and have rarely used any warranty at all. I have imported a two Chrysler products (from the U.S) in the past and never had any issue with any of the vehicles or any newer vehicle for that matter period.

This brings me to the issue with the 3.6L Pentastar and it's head issue. From doing some reading it sounds to be a low percentage of the engines are having this lifter head issue. Without getting in to details, the GC is paid for already but we have yet to pick it up. We plan to pick it up in roughly two weeks. The dealer has made some gaffs in the transaction and has stated that they will refund our money if we aren't happy with the deal.

So my question is...how many people think I should bail on the deal based on the head issue the the Penastar? I was told by the service dept that the it would cost me 1,800K to change one head (lower $ than I expected). I was also told by the service dept that the issue is with the 2011 models and they haven't seen any 2012 model years with the issue. Should I avoid this possible headache or are the odds in my favour and not worry about it?

Thanks for reading over my dilemma!

Thats a big savings. You could surly replace a head several times for that amount. To answer the question though 2012 models have had the head problem mine is starting to make noise and it was built in april. I don't think you can really say what the odds of having the issue are. They want to say it has affected .5 percent or whatever, but that is just the ones having the issue now. I would think this number could rise much higher as these things get more miles on them. I would say you might want to plan on the expense of replacing it and then if you never have to you will be that much more ahead.

Juan 09-04-2012 02:51 AM

MattE I am planning on moving to Canada in the next few months. I have heard from another member that there is a possibility that jeep Canada will let you transfer the warranty.

AussieWK2 09-04-2012 06:16 AM

Matt

Don't touch it without any warranty. A few Aussie buyers down here are really suffering and even with warranty Jeep Australia are next to being useless in listening and more importantly with action.

These are great cars but equally there appears to be more lemons than normal. Run a mile from your US deal and buy one in Canada, $10K just ain't worth the potential heartache you're setting yourself up for.

Not sure about the Penstar, from what I hear down here more folk are reasonably happy with them, but the head issue would have me worried, it's a shame you guys don't have the CRD yet, it flies and is very fuel efficient.

Hope this helps you.

MattE 09-04-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 678916)
MattE I am planning on moving to Canada in the next few months. I have heard from another member that there is a possibility that jeep Canada will let you transfer the warranty.

IF you move here to Canada along with your Jeep, you would be able to tansfer your warranty. It's people like me that live in Canada and buy it in the U.S that are not covered.

I would not buy the GC up here in Canada if it was $10k more. We wouldn't buy one at all. I could never see using up the $10K that was saved in warranty work. If some minor issues came up that needed to be dealt with that were out of pocket, I don't have a problem with that at all.

If someone buys a used vehicle just out of warranty, they should be more at risk than buying one that is basically brand new with no warranty either.

Other than the head issue on the GC, I wonder how many people would choose to save $10k and have no warranty? I bet most would ditch their warranty if they could put $10k back in their pocket.

ColdCase 09-04-2012 08:10 AM

Is that canadian $$ or US $$ :)

padgett 09-04-2012 09:35 AM

a) Canadian dollars are worth more than US these days.
b) Contact someone like chryslerwarrentys dot com and ask if they have something for you.

jgc4ever 09-04-2012 10:05 AM

I would ditch my warranty for $10k.

I'd also wait 5 months to get a 2014 with a better transmission and two years newer.

MattE 09-04-2012 10:21 AM

I called Chrysler warranties and they can't do anything for Canadians.

I feel really split which way to go on this. Here's a crazy idea...make them change both heads even if it needs it or not?

2014 would be nice. I can't believe they will be out in 4 months. Thing is...I have already bought Overland Summit wheels, they're sitting in my garage.

:confused::confused::confused:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ColdCase 09-04-2012 11:00 AM

You could look for a deal on a V8...

IRISH 09-04-2012 07:16 PM

I believe the warranty would still be good in the states, so if you live near the border just take it back for warranty work.

JRNYC 09-04-2012 08:16 PM

I wouldn't ditch the warranty.