Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   04 Grand Cherokee Dying, HELP! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/04-grand-cherokee-dying-help-47050.html)

snelsonl 09-04-2012 09:01 PM

04 Grand Cherokee Dying, HELP!

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition V6 with ~95,000 miles. I purchased it last August and within 3 weeks it began dieing at red lights, stop signs, etc when I would push the gas pedal to start moving again. 4 tows, 6 weeks, and $1,500 later I had replaced the spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, and had the wire harness inspected and taped in areas where the hard plastic coating had broken. At this point the problem stopped (October) and didn't start again until about 6 months ago (March?) - so maybe it is related to the temperature outside? At any rate, this time the issue was far less severe. Half of the time it runs without issue. 3-4 times a week it will run fine until my first stop sign or red light (about 5 minutes after running). Again, when I go to accelerate the engine will stutter as if it is about to die, RPMs will drop, and I will feel like I have lost power. If come off the gas and lightly pump it a few times it will "kick back in" and I can drive without issue. Once this happens, it will not reoccur for the entire trip (most of the time). Occasionally (as in maybe 3 times all summer) it will stutter and lose RPM/Power at about 50 MPH but resumes power if I come off the gas and then reapply the throttle. This week it began completely dieing again. If I pump the gas pedal as I turn the key it will restart but usually will die again once or twice before kicking back on and again, running without issue for the rest of the trip. There is no dealership in my area and I have taken it to 3 mechanics who have all failed to find a solution. There are no error codes. Occasionally while "stuttering" the gas gauge will suddenly drop to empty and the "gas pump" light will light up, only to resume the proper level within seconds. When the car completely dies the red "engine block" light and the red "check gauges" light will light up momentarily. Also, it seems that the A/C air stops being cold momentarily when the engine is sputtering. I have searched the internet backwards and forwards and cannot find a solution. I am desperate to get a good answer - please is anyone knows how to fix this I would be extremely grateful!

2005JGC 09-04-2012 09:53 PM

Re: 04 Grand Cherokee Dying, HELP!

The crankshaft position sensor is a common failure on the I6 engine that will cause a dieout and occationally not leave codes.

xmonger 09-04-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 679301)
The crankshaft position sensor is a common failure on the I6 engine that will cause a dieout and occationally not leave codes.

x2. Had the same issue on my 4.0 XJ. Swapped it out in 20 min and it was good as new. The CPS is located on top of the bell housing. If you are not mechanically inclined take it in to someone who is. If you drop one or both of the bolts into the bell housing it will not be fun.

Good luck to the OP... Hope this solves your issues as it is a cheap fix.

Ben_02WJ 09-05-2012 08:57 AM

I agree with the crankshaft position sensor. However, I would also look into the throttle body. My ZJ with the 5.2 V8 exhibited similar symptoms and it ended up being a filthy throttle body. A $4 dollar can of carb cleaner later and all was well with the world again...