Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Died out of nowhere. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/died-out-of-nowhere-47053.html)

2Sh3a 09-05-2012 12:05 AM

Died out of nowhere.

Well I'm starting to get worried. I just got a 05 4.7 4x4 with 81k on it and I'm getting the occasional rough idle at red lights and tonight after about 30 minutes of highway driving I get into the city and everything is going smooth then out of nowhere it just dies while rolling up to a stop sign. Started back up and made it home no problem. What is going on with this thing? Maintenance records are sparse and I bought it from a private seller. Any ideas?

Frango100 09-05-2012 12:37 AM

Re: Died out of nowhere.

Did you check if any DTC was set? Could be a crank or cam sensor.

2Sh3a 09-05-2012 01:04 AM

It says DTC report..... Done. Not getting any codes I guess.

Frango100 09-05-2012 06:33 AM

Seems that many times the crank sensor can be bad without having any DTC set.

2005JGC 09-05-2012 03:07 PM

that and possibly the egr valve, while driving it will be commanded open and if it sticks open when you come to a stop it will die... I have also seen coil packs cause a dieout on 4.7l and 5.7l engines.

swing4terps 09-05-2012 03:20 PM

This got me thinking about a problem I was having previously and how it may relate to some problems I am having now.

I used to have the OP's problem although I know it wasn't my EGR. It occured in conjunction with a battery replacement. The mechanic claims he reset my "idle settings" which I'd never heard of.

So I pose a question....

When disconnecting the battery, is there a difference in terms of information that is reset between disconnecting just the negative cable vs. both?

To answer the OP I would suggest checking out the EGR. Previous to what I just mentioned I had rough idle and occassional stallouts and replaced the EGR and solved my problems.

Redpit 09-05-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Sh3a (Post 679347)
Well I'm starting to get worried. I just got a 05 4.7 4x4 with 81k on it and I'm getting the occasional rough idle at red lights and tonight after about 30 minutes of highway driving I get into the city and everything is going smooth then out of nowhere it just dies while rolling up to a stop sign. Started back up and made it home no problem. What is going on with this thing? Maintenance records are sparse and I bought it from a private seller. Any ideas?

Did all the dash lights stay lit, or did they shut off too? If they shut off, then it could be an ignition problem.

trekbuddy 09-05-2012 10:43 PM

Yeah I get this same issue on occasion finally it kicked the CEL and it was the EGR code. I haven't been able to replace the EGR valve yet but my 4.7 liter 05 does the same thing.