Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Washing Your Jeep (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/washing-your-jeep-47080.html)

turbospartan 09-05-2012 05:10 PM

Washing Your Jeep
 
So reading through the "do you let your dealer wash your Jeep" thread, it got me thinking - if you guys don't trust your dealer to wash your Jeep, where do you wash it?

Let me preface this by saying that I live in a condo complex and do not have access to a hose/water to wash it myself.

Sometimes I'll take it to a bay and just soap it down and then spray it, but usually it doesn't look that good afterwards (water spots, etc).

There are a few places that can get the Jeep pretty damn clean, but I'm half worried that the brushes are going to be dirty and scratch my paint.

Is a touchless drive thru the best option? Also, I worry about my wheels getting scratched going through.

Aiyer 09-05-2012 05:29 PM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
I take mine to a touchless wash sometimes. They also have wash bays where you put your money and wash it yourself. The automatic wash does not dry the Jeep really well... hence I actually prefer washing it myself these days 'coz for the same $8-$10, I can wash it and dry it really well.

I drive the Jeep home and then wipe off the water marks using some quick detailer and a microfibre cloth. Also clean up the windows, windshield, etc etc after coming home.

The first day I drive the Jeep after a car wash, it rains without fail, not heavy but just enough to make it dirty. :(

Slckevin 09-05-2012 05:29 PM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
I also live in a condo with no water. I recently picked up Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine from Detailed Image. This stuff is great. I use my own mitt/drying cloth and my car looks amazing. I do not have to use the harsh car washing places stuff. All you do is fill a bucket with some of the wash and water then when the area is still wet you wipe it with a drying cloth. Very simple and very quick!

Angler 09-05-2012 07:02 PM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slckevin (Post 679619)
I also live in a condo with no water. I recently picked up Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine from Detailed Image. This stuff is great. I use my own mitt/drying cloth and my car looks amazing. I do not have to use the harsh car washing places stuff. All you do is fill a bucket with some of the wash and water then when the area is still wet you wipe it with a drying cloth. Very simple and very quick!

I don't live in a condo but do live where we are almost always on water use restrictions. Optimum No Rinse is exactly as advertised. Check out some of the YouTube videos about it and be sure to go to the Detailed Imaging forum and the detailing forum on this website and learn the two bucket method. When drying use a waffle weave microfiber towel (several actually) and a spray quick detailer of your choice will also pay big dividends. :thumbsup:

iwearpumas 09-05-2012 07:33 PM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
I used to go to the car wash for my Stone White, but near my home, there are some Mexicans (not trying to sound racist) that do hand car washes. They have a van, that has all the chemicals and stuff built in the back so they can wash vehicles. Best car wash I ever had.

Yadkin 09-05-2012 08:01 PM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by turbospartan (Post 679608)
So reading through the "do you let your dealer wash your Jeep" thread, it got me thinking - if you guys don't trust your dealer to wash your Jeep, where do you wash it?

Let me preface this by saying that I live in a condo complex and do not have access to a hose/water to wash it myself.

Sometimes I'll take it to a bay and just soap it down and then spray it, but usually it doesn't look that good afterwards (water spots, etc).

There are a few places that can get the Jeep pretty damn clean, but I'm half worried that the brushes are going to be dirty and scratch my paint.

Is a touchless drive thru the best option? Also, I worry about my wheels getting scratched going through.

Do a touchless drive through, use the spotless rinse setting then pull over into the lot, find a shady spot and dry it with a set of microfiber towels. Use one towel to get most of the water off, squeezing it out as needed. Use that towel to work the bugs off the front as they will be softened up by the wash. Then use more towels to completely dry it. Use a quick detailer on any spot you missed.

Here's another tip: use the clean damp towels to clean your interior, then your door moldings.

Shortdustoff 09-05-2012 08:03 PM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
Key is drying it off before you get spots. Even if you go to a car wash and spray it off yourself, I have a rubber squeegee and microfiber towel. I do this every couple weeks.

FAUEE 09-05-2012 09:41 PM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
ONR is great stuff. I am lucky enough to have water here, but I do ONR once in a while for touch ups and such.

jordanwallace 09-06-2012 12:25 AM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
I also live in a condo, and while we do have hose and water access, I prefer to wash my Jeep either at a friends house or at my parent's house since they live nearby and let me wash it whenever I want.

JRNYC 09-06-2012 12:49 AM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by iwearpumas (Post 679671)
I used to go to the car wash for my Stone White, but near my home, there are some Mexicans (not trying to sound racist) that do hand car washes. They have a van, that has all the chemicals and stuff built in the back so they can wash vehicles. Best car wash I ever had.

Hey tell me where.. I've been thinking of the place by the gwb in the bronx that seems as u described.

Shutterbug57 09-06-2012 05:26 AM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
I live in a house with a driveway and hose connection. I am cheap and an old fart. I just wash mine myself and use a chamois to dry it off. Call it old fashioned, but it works.

If I did not have a water connection, I would use the local no-touch wash and still dry with the Chamois.

JTS97Z28 09-06-2012 07:53 AM

Re: Washing Your Jeep
 
I have a 2012 Overland with just a little over 6,000 miles on it. IT has never once been through a car wash and I intend to keep it that way. I always wash it myself in the driveway. My garage has a hot and cold water spicket which is super nice. I wash the car in the driveway then pull it inside the garage to dry it and do anything else I need to do to it.

If washing at home wasnt an option, I have actually always had very good results from all those local $3.00 automatic car washes. They are not touchless, but touchless usually doesnt really clean the vehicle. I never had any issues with scratches or anything and im pretty anal when it comes to detailing my vehicles. I was also always impressed with the results from those washes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community