Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Cleaning the Throttle Body? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/cleaning-the-throttle-body-47088.html)

lboggs24 09-05-2012 07:18 PM

Cleaning the Throttle Body?

So I recently changed the spark plugs on my 06 WK(3.7l), and after removing the intake I noticed the throttle body was pretty dirty. I didn't have the time to clean it right then so I put it on my to-do list. Today while looking at the factory scheduled maintenance on http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm, it says to not clean the throttle body at all. Is there any specific reason to not clean the throttle body? I've done this on previous cars of mine and friends cars and didn't cause any issues and to me seems odd to leave it dirty.

Yadkin 09-05-2012 08:11 PM

Re: Cleaning the Throttle Body?

That's interesting that it says that. I've cleaned throttle bodies with Fords that I own (a 2004 and a 2005) with good results. Crud builds up near the butterfly shaft causing it to bind, causing idle problems and casing the vehicle to "jump" when coming off idle. If its not too bad you can use spray cleaner while the engine is running. I've had them so dirty that I've removed them completely and used 600 grit sand paper to clean and polish them. Both are plain aluminum.

I'm wondering if there is some type of coating the ChryCo uses that you have to be especially careful with. If so try cleaning with kerosene, mineral spirits or some other non-volatile or lightly volatile petroleum product that you know won't be as aggressive as gasoline.

michael 1970 09-05-2012 08:31 PM

DO NOT USE SPRAY CLEANER!!! You will damage the sensors in the TB. There are threads here that detail how to clean it. Basically, you remove the TB, spray some TB cleaner on a soft cloth and GENTLY wipe it down. Remove the IAC and do the same.
I did it on my '06 3.7 when I replaced the plugs, it was really easy, and I gained over 2 MPG!

dr.lee.baugh 09-05-2012 08:57 PM

According to the FSM, only the hemis are sensitive to spray carb cleaners and include explicit instructions not to use sprays or silicone lubricants on them.

The 3.7 and 4.7 do not have the same electronic components and can be sprayed clean.

As mentioned above, the hemis can be cleaned carefully by hand (and are the ones that really need it!)

JMLoughrey 09-06-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 679723)
According to the FSM, only the hemis are sensitive to spray carb cleaners and include explicit instructions not to use sprays or silicone lubricants on them.

The 3.7 and 4.7 do not have the same electronic components and can be sprayed clean.

As mentioned above, the hemis can be cleaned carefully by hand (and are the ones that really need it!)

Can anyone confirm this?

Not saying i doubt you, just want to double check before i clean mine.

dr.lee.baugh 09-06-2012 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No worries, I would want confirmation as well...and I have the hemi, so it's hand cleaning for mine either way!

I've attached the pages from the service manual that I referenced.

On the WK2 side of things, this has been up for discussion a fair bit. Apparently, early versions of the FSM contained a warning about cleaning the TB with spray cleaners (and that is what led to the posting on wkjeeps), but later versions do not .

If it was me, I would hand clean regardless - makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside...

HemiDawg 09-07-2012 08:11 AM

:D You all must not drive yours hard enough!! I took a look at mine after 56K miles and it was clean as could be - no catch can either.

michael 1970 09-07-2012 03:59 PM

Like I said, there are a number of threads on this site that addresses this, and they all say not to use a spray, and to only wipe them down. I personally would not chance it, as it could be an expensive fix. To clean it only took me about 45 min. total- from removing it to replacing it. Not a long time to ensure no damage.

covet66 09-08-2012 03:36 PM

My son and I cleaned ours today, removed throttle body, used a plastic scraper for the crud on the back of the blade, a bit of parts cleaner and toothbrush for the rest with a soft cloth as well. Pretty straightforward.