Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Members Rides-Showoff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/)
-   -   North Stradbroke Island - Qld, Australia (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/north-stradbroke-island-qld-australia-47102.html)

Kev. 09-06-2012 02:53 AM

North Stradbroke Island - Qld, Australia

10 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Took the Jeep over to Straddie last weekend for a camping trip.

No issues at all with the 4WD Serv message - the Jeep performed excellent (apart from driver error whilst I was towing a trailer!)

This was my first time ever driving on the beach and off-road!

We towed the trailer to the camping area, then unhitched it for the weekend. Did quite a lot of beach work in soft sand, and a few inland tracks without any worries at all!

Photos - The one with the steep hill was our descent back onto the beach!:

LeCheese 09-06-2012 03:09 AM

Re: North Stradbroke Island - Qld, Australia

Hey Kev, great pics!
I'm going in a couple of weeks and couldn't help but notice you've removed the mudflap things IN FRONT of the front wheels.
Just wondering if it is really as easy as pulling a few pins out
Also, how was the clearance with (what looks like) standard suspension
Can't wait till I go. Thanks for sharing!

AussieWK2 09-06-2012 03:12 AM

Very nice pics Kev....

Your tyres look fairly high for beach work, is that the driver error you mention?

GlennR 09-06-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev. (Post 679854)
Hi All,

Took the Jeep over to Straddie last weekend for a camping trip.

No issues at all with the 4WD Serv message - the Jeep performed excellent (apart from driver error whilst I was towing a trailer!)

This was my first time ever driving on the beach and off-road!

We towed the trailer to the camping area, then unhitched it for the weekend. Did quite a lot of beach work in soft sand, and a few inland tracks without any worries at all!

Photos - The one with the steep hill was our descent back onto the beach!:

Great photos Mate!! Thought you might have given a wave as you drove past my place!!! Any chance of talking us through how you got bogged. I'm up for Straddie next month and other than understanding the need to deflate tyres, am a bit naive off road. My last Pajero NS took all the guess work out of driving off road and handled everything including soft sand perfectly. Not having recovery hooks is putting a doubt in my mind with these thing getting bogged around the place. Cheers. And again...top photos!!

Kev. 09-06-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeCheese (Post 679859)
Hey Kev, great pics!
I'm going in a couple of weeks and couldn't help but notice you've removed the mudflap things IN FRONT of the front wheels.
Just wondering if it is really as easy as pulling a few pins out
Also, how was the clearance with (what looks like) standard suspension
Can't wait till I go. Thanks for sharing!

Mudflaps come off extremely easy - 3 bolts (from memory 2xM8 and 1xM10) I had to remove them due to the rock rails.

Clearance was ok - did bottom out a couple of times on the real deep stuff but it's only sand! On a positive note the wife has approved my Suspension Lift - just gotta check with the novated lease company.

Kev.

Kev. 09-06-2012 03:25 AM

My quick explanation of driver error:

- Tyres on Jeep at 22psi (should've gone lower but being lazy as to not wanting to keep inflating them if we went on Tarmac on the island)
- Tyres left at normal pressure on the trailer
- I stopped on the real soft sand! - should've pulled onto the firmer stuff to stop
- Didn't try to reverse then rock forward soon enough (I just gave full throttle making it worse!)
- And last of all - I followed a Toyota who stopped at the last minute due to a washout! (he wasn't towing a trailer!)

I think we went well taking into account it was my first time! We didn't have to 'snatch' out, just a bit of help needed to gain momentum.

Good job I fitted the recovery hook!

Kev.

LeCheese 09-06-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev. (Post 679865)
Mudflaps come off extremely easy - 3 bolts (from memory 2xM8 and 1xM10) I had to remove them due to the rock rails.

Clearance was ok - did bottom out a couple of times on the real deep stuff but it's only sand! On a positive note the wife has approved my Suspension Lift - just gotta check with the novated lease company.

Kev.

Great!
Lift is on the list for me as well. Who you looking at? Murchison?

LeCheese 09-06-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 679863)
I'm up for Straddie next month and other than understanding the need to deflate tyres, am a bit naive off road. My last Pajero NS took all the guess work out of driving off road and handled everything including soft sand perfectly. Not having recovery hooks is putting a doubt in my mind with these thing getting bogged around the place. Cheers. And again...top photos!!

MOMENTUM IS KEY! also, follow in others' tracks and travel with a friend in case you get stuck.
Also, do you have the recovery hook in the rear, because if you dont i would be very hesitant taking it on sand, particularly since you may get the 4WD error...
I don't mean to scare you but I would very much consider getting the hook installed before you go

Kev. 09-06-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeCheese (Post 679872)
Great!
Lift is on the list for me as well. Who you looking at? Murchison?

Yeah I've sent a few emails to Stu. Hoping to do it within the next 6months, all dependant on $$$ and the novated lease.

I know that once the lift is on, I'd like new tyres too which means more $$$!

Kev.

GMWK2 09-06-2012 03:50 AM

Nice photos, great to hear you had a good time.

GlennR 09-06-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeCheese (Post 679873)
MOMENTUM IS KEY! also, follow in others' tracks and travel with a friend in case you get stuck.
Also, do you have the recovery hook in the rear, because if you dont i would be very hesitant taking it on sand, particularly since you may get the 4WD error...
I don't mean to scare you but I would very much consider getting the hook installed before you go

Youre right. $350 is a small price to pay compared to a swamped vehicle! gonna check out the thread on the recovery hooks. Curious to find out if they are a DIY install?

Kev. 09-06-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 679878)
Youre right. $350 is a small price to pay compared to a swamped vehicle! gonna check out the thread on the recovery hooks. Curious to find out if they are a DIY install?

Yeah mate, DIY all the way.

Take off the bottom part of the bumper and you have full access. It's a little tight for one of the bolts (couldn't get my torque wrench in for that one only) but I fitted it within an hour.

I sourced it from Northern Motor Group on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jeep-WK-G...#ht_1528wt_730

I notice the price is now $360+ delivery. I paid $322 + $20 postage (arrived next day as I'd spoke to them about delivery)

It's expensive for what it is - must be the cost of getting it ADR approved!

Kev.