Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/)
-   -   Multiple Issues for my SRT (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/multiple-issues-for-my-srt-47139.html)

KOA72 09-06-2012 06:40 PM

Multiple Issues for my SRT

OK I have to say I have NOT enjoyed owning this vehicle more than one solid month since I purchased it in February of 2012. It has been nothing but trouble. The troubles started about 200 miles after purchasing and have included "slipping" transmission, a tailgate that was installed crooked (it wouldn't close flush to the vehicle but stuck out and to the Left), and to top it all off this supposed great audio system has sucked. The speakers will cut out intermittently. And when i say cut out i mean total silence. The dealership i purchased the vehicle from took about 3 - 4 months to fix all of these issues, i had approx 1 - 2 months of no issues and now guess what. The audio is cutting out...again.
So i am driving with my daughter to our station and listening to some pretty decent music on my ipod when SILENCE...my daughter and i looked at each other, thought it was the IPOD so unplugged it and guess what....still silence. So we messed with the radio. we could clearly see that the radio was on, we could change the station but there was utter silence coming out of the speakers....NADDA. So we pulled over turned the car off, let it sit a moment opened and closed the doors then turned it back on and still NADDA....utter silence. So we proceed to the station, i get a good 45 minute workout in return to the car and the audio starts working again. This is the exact same problem I had about 5000 miles ago (my vehicle has 6000 miles on it now). A problem which the dealership claimed was a radio so they replaced it.
So i ask you....is this vehicle worth the $60,000 price tag we paid? I for one have to say a big resounding NO after all the problems I have had for this vehicles very short life (7 months old on September 18th) & I don't think I will ever purchase or recommend anyone else purchase one until all the kinks are worked out.
Now our SRT8 Dodge Charger on the other hand, never had an issue with it so tell me, if you would be so kind......WHAT GIVES?

mlarco52 09-06-2012 07:17 PM

Re: Multiple Issues for my SRT

Every type of vehicle has a few in their builds that have some to many problems. Neighbor had a range rover supercharged for 12 months, it spend 8 months in the shop and he finally gave it back after the 12th month.

mjw930 09-06-2012 07:51 PM

It sounds like the amp that drives the system has a thermal problem and is cutting out. They changed the radio, now they need to change the amp. I believe it's under the left cover in the back opposite the subwoofer.

KOA72 09-06-2012 08:09 PM

When the jeep first started with the radio issue we, my husband and I, both said it was the amp but the mechanics from a certain dealership swore up and down that it was the head unit.....guess we were right :)

KOA72 09-06-2012 08:11 PM

Oh and by the way - Jeep refuses to buy this guy back. They say that 2 - 3 weeks per month of it being in the shop doesn't qualify for a buy back. Instead Chrysler put us on the "preferred customer care" list.

Love the car but it is severly impacting my work, life and home