Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Tpms (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/tpms-4714.html)

NHWK05 12-11-2009 10:44 PM

Tpms

I am getting my new wheels put on on monday. I have the basic TPMS setup in my WK. I know that at least 2 sensors are bad and i dont want to pay the shop to put rebuild kits on the sensors and i dont have money to buy all new sensors now.

The shop said they would be willing to put reg valve stems in until i get the new sensors. I will order new sensors when i buy my new tires and install them then. I know its technically illegal to remove the sensors but thats on the shops shoulders not mine.

Will i run in to any issues with my WK if i do this temporarily? Will the dash light be on? will it keep dinging at me and flashing the tpms light?

Scottina06 12-12-2009 02:31 AM

Re: Tpms

the dash light will stay on...other than that annoyance....shouldnt be any other problems

saleen032 12-12-2009 07:56 AM

How much did you spend on the wheels? You can find a set of new sensors at the dealer for around $130-140...Why not just go do that and be done with it?

NHWK05 12-12-2009 09:41 AM

I spent $300 o the wheels and i dont have another $130+ to spend on the sensors for something that i really dont NEED right now. iw ill fix it when i get my new tires. I may have bought new wheels but money is still tight. Ive been saving for them while living pay check to pay check.

robpp 12-12-2009 11:53 AM

i wonder about the dinging.......

that could get annoying.

NHWK05 12-12-2009 07:54 PM

I dont think it will ding but if it does then i will just have to buckle down and get it fixed.

Chris 12-12-2009 08:15 PM

Doesn't it only dig when you first start up anyhow? We're talking about the light with the "!" in the middle right? Mine's on right now and only dings when I start the car and the light is on, but it's nowhere near annoying. Need to go put some air already though and quit being lazy lol

NHWK05 12-12-2009 09:06 PM

Yea, thats what it does now because i have 2 bad sensors. It dings on startup and the light stays on so it wont be any different. I can deal with it for a month or two (hopefully less) till i get new tires.

Chris 12-13-2009 12:49 AM

How would I know if I had a bad sensor? When I air up my tires the light goes away for a while but always seems to come back, and my tires don't like to hold the air for a long time, it seeps out slowly i guess.. lol

TimmyB 12-13-2009 01:00 AM

How do you know you have two "bad" sensors? And a simple rebuild kit wont fix them, the rebuild kits that go for about $2 per kit online that have a new stem, cap, O-ring and nut type cover?

Obviously you can run just basic valve stems in them without the TPMS, and all you would get is one "ding" upon startup and your TPMS light on the dash will stay on. Its hardly an annoyance. I will tell you this though, my TPMS light came on a few days ago, my back right tire needed air so filled it, then last night it came on again and filled the same low tire, this morning the same tire was low and after taking the tire off and spraying soapy water everywhere there was an air leak from the stem thing itself. My point is the TPMS prob saved me from having a flat somewhere on the highway, so i would get it fixed as soon as you can, well worth the money. That and Triple A Plus.

NHWK05 12-13-2009 10:03 AM

You need to go to the dealership and have them run a scan. I had the same issue. The light kept coming on, i would check my pressure and it was fine so i went to have it checked at the dealership and that is how you find out if you have bad sensors. A rebuild kit wont fix the problem.

The problem is the dealership cannot tell you what sensor is bad, unless you have the more advanced tpms system that actually tells you which tire is low. The basic system that most WKs have sucks for that reason.

Chris 12-13-2009 02:01 PM

K I guess I will have to call the stealership, I too have the basic system (i didnt know there was a more advanced one?) and it just shows the light and a ding.. nothing more :/ Kinda sucks that it leaves you guessing as to whats wrong with what tire, lol