Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Paint protectant (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/paint-protectant-47161.html)

tipman71 09-07-2012 12:10 AM

Paint protectant

hello, is it worth getting paint protectant? and does it repalce the need for waxing. my good friend working at the Jeep dealer is giving me a really good deal on it?

kkreit01 09-07-2012 04:01 PM

Re: Paint protectant

No -- and No. Please don't pay $500+ for a $20 bottle of sealant that may last 4-6 months. It's pure profit to the dealer, add-on sales, etc. You're way better off purchasing your own sealant & wax.

tipman71 09-07-2012 09:13 PM

Thank you. You are right not worth $500 :) But if my buddy gave me a really good deal is it worth getting?

jgc4ever 09-07-2012 09:51 PM

I used it on my Black 98 Grand Cherokee and again now on my 2012 Brilliant Black Grand Cherokee. I just did it last weekend, 10 months after it was first applied by the dealer when I bought it last October. The stuff I got only needs to be done once a year. It's super easy on and off. And the paint is super smooth. Water beads up nicely. I never have to wax. Nothing needed other than two microfiber cloths. Go for it!

HAMMMERHEAD 09-08-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipman71 (Post 680391)
hello, is it worth getting paint protectant? and does it repalce the need for waxing. my good friend working at the Jeep dealer is giving me a really good deal on it?

Total BS. The best sealants out there truly only last 3-6 months. There is no "magic" product only manu dealers can get. Its just another cherry for them to toss on top of the sale. Get you a $30 jug of acrylic Klasse and call it a day.

FAUEE 09-08-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD (Post 680833)
Total BS. The best sealants out there truly only last 3-6 months. There is no "magic" product only manu dealers can get. Its just another cherry for them to toss on top of the sale. Get you a $30 jug of acrylic Klasse and call it a day.

Truth.

If the deal is he will seal the car for $20, then go for it. But the reality is a sealant is all they're going to use on it, which is a synthetic "wax". You can get the same effect as others have said for $20-30. And how long it will last is all dependent on how well you take care of it. A good wax job can last 6 months to a year if kept up with wash & wax and spray wax. Same goes for a sealant it can easily last a year or two if taken care of.

Ultima Paint Guard Pro is going to give you the same or better results for less money if you DIY, and it isn't hard to do at all.

SW03ES 09-08-2012 01:59 PM

Its total BS. All is is is a low quality, bulk grade sealant. Pay a detailer to polish it out and apply a good sealant to it and you'll have far better protection, done well as opposed to done poorly by the dealer hack, for much less.

Or, spend $30 on a good sealant and do it yourself.

Quote:

I used it on my Black 98 Grand Cherokee and again now on my 2012 Brilliant Black Grand Cherokee. I just did it last weekend, 10 months after it was first applied by the dealer when I bought it last October. The stuff I got only needs to be done once a year. It's super easy on and off. And the paint is super smooth. Water beads up nicely. I never have to wax. Nothing needed other than two microfiber cloths. Go for it!
But you do have to wax, you just waxed the paint after 10 months, they just call it "re-applying". A modern liquid sealant is no harder.

jgc4ever 09-08-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 680970)
But you do have to wax,

You don't ever wax with the polish from the dealer. Wax would negate/ruin the polish job. It's called Platinum Protection Systems Once A Year Car Polish by the way.

Hollywood 09-10-2012 01:10 PM

I had my Mineral Grey Overland done with a "Polymer Sealant" called Zaino 13 months ago. It still looks (and feels) glossy smooth after thirteen months of car washes. I'm going to have another coat put on when it's detailed again in a couple weeks. I've been very happy with it. It does last quite a while.....but not.....FOREVER! ;)

SW03ES 09-10-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 681016)
You don't ever wax with the polish from the dealer. Wax would negate/ruin the polish job. It's called Platinum Protection Systems Once A Year Car Polish by the way.

You're just arguing about semantics. What does it mean "to wax"? Why is applying and removing the "once a year car polish" any different that applying and removing a "wax" or other "sealant"? Its exactly the same thing. Its like selling engine oil that never needs to be changed, but with a "booster" you have to drain and refill. Its just a marketing gimmick. You are rubbing a product onto the paint, and buffing it off once a year...which you could do with any product and dave yourself the $800.

And a true carnuaba wax can be applied over a bonded polymer sealant without disturbing it. Detailers do it all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood
I had my Mineral Grey Overland done with a "Polymer Sealant" called Zaino 13 months ago. It still looks (and feels) glossy smooth after thirteen months of car washes. I'm going to have another coat put on when it's detailed again in a couple weeks. I've been very happy with it. It does last quite a while.....but not.....FOREVER!

After 13 months the Zaino is long gone, but Zaino is a great product, very durable. You can look into buying it and doing it yourself, its not hard. www.zainobros.com

Hollywood 09-10-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 681769)
After 13 months the Zaino is long gone, but Zaino is a great product, very durable. You can look into buying it and doing it yourself, its not hard. www.zainobros.com

Agreed, that's why I'm doing it again!

jgc4ever 09-10-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 681769)
You're just arguing about semantics. What does it mean "to wax"? Why is applying and removing the "once a year car polish" any different that applying and removing a "wax" or other "sealant"? Its exactly the same thing. Its like selling engine oil that never needs to be changed, but with a "booster" you have to drain and refill. Its just a marketing gimmick. You are rubbing a product onto the paint, and buffing it off once a year...which you could do with any product and dave yourself the $800.

And a true carnuaba wax can be applied over a bonded polymer sealant without disturbing it. Detailers do it all the time.

www.zainobros.com

It does include a warranty. I got a brand new hood for my '98 Grand Cherokee using the warranty for the paint protection. I think the dealer spilled acid or some chemical on it, but at the time I thought it was bird dropping. Wax won't get me a new hood.