Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   07 WK in need of/possibly never had wax/protectorant (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/07-wk-in-need-of-possibly-never-had-wax-protectorant-47181.html)

mTBrunner83 09-07-2012 04:34 PM

07 WK in need of/possibly never had wax/protectorant

Pardon my ignorance on this topic. I have looked around the forum and searched and found that depending on the shade of your coat people recommend different things.

I Have a steel blue metallic clear coat and I have noticed it has seen better days. I was wanting to restore some of that shine it once had. I have never waxed a vehicle on my own before but being as I do everything with my jeep myself I would like to give it a shot. Is there a thread someone could direct me to? And also is there a particular wax or protectorant that I would be best with my color? I also have limited access to facilities as I live in an apartment complex so is my idea of getting it done in a day reasonable or is it necessary to have it sit for a while before removing?
I should also mention that I have rarely washed my vehicle in the past 2 years I have owned her but I intend on changing that as of now.

I apologize for all the jumbled questions. I would just like to do it right and the folks here at Jeep Garage have not steered me wrong yet.

DAVY27 09-07-2012 07:30 PM

Re: 07 WK in need of/possibly never had wax/protectorant

There're a few threads on the process people have used...one that comes to mind is Scott's Fall Correction(maybe search under that)

This is what I do:
1. wash it with Chemical Guys Citrus wash
2.Claybar (u might need a bit more aggressive clay since your car rarely been washed/care for)
3.rewash
4. Meguiars Ultimate Compound
5. Meguiars Ultimate Polish
6.Meguiars M21 (heard great reviews about Blackfire Sealant too)
7.Meguiars Ultimate Wax

mTBrunner83 09-11-2012 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I did find Scott's Fall Paint Correction and used some ofthat information. She doesn't look too bad now.

Silver WK 01-17-2013 02:34 AM

This Is What I Do: Basic Detail For Daily

1 Wash with Dawn (vehicle needs to be striped)
2 Clay bar (Clay Magic Blue or Red) Clay Lube Dodo Juice or Megs D-155
3 Polish (Menzerma FF3000) Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher 5.5"Orange or White Pad
4 Wash (Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo)
5 Wax (3 Coats Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax)

joenjulie 02-02-2013 05:41 AM

If you are looking to simplify, maybe just something like a good one step like Griots Garage one step(mild polish/sealer), and you can get it at Advanced Auto Parts...or go the full monty, maybe look at adding in CarPro Iron X, reduced my clay use quite a bit on my truck. Check out detailedimage.com, anything you could need. Also, a good regular maintenance soap is necessary, Dawn is a one or two times a year thing. Blackfire, very nice, I love it, it's my go to for that wet, slick, deep look and it last pretty long too, and its easy as pie.