Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Anyone change brakes and rotors yet? Any DIYs or tips?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/anyone-change-brakes-and-rotors-yet-any-diys-or-tips-47198.html)

Ahujadaddy 09-08-2012 07:12 AM

Anyone change brakes and rotors yet? Any DIYs or tips??

I feel like my brakes aren't what they used to be, haven't actually measured or closely inspected to confirm though. Stopping power just doesn't seem as sharp. Came here to see if anyone had done a DIY yet?

Just a simple brake pad change and new rotors perhaps. OEM or equiv. I am thinking it should be easy and straightforward if you've changed brakes before, but wondering if anyone has done it on the WK2 and could share any issues they ran into or anything unexpected.

Scottina06 09-08-2012 11:05 AM

Re: Anyone change brakes and rotors yet? Any DIYs or tips??

R1Concepts has just about any rotor or pad you will ever need. Slotted, drilled, premium, eline etc. Send them a PM for options or check out their vendors forum.

FYI-Ive changed mine...but I went with the complete Brembo upgrade from the Jeep SRT

Ahujadaddy 09-08-2012 11:57 AM

ah cool, will check that out. would love to increase my stopping power with better pads / rotors to resist heat and brake fade - while keeping OEM sizes and same lines. thanks

Jeep_addicted 09-08-2012 12:36 PM

I too have noticed that as the pad wear on our 2011 Laredo the brakes don't feel as sharp.

You may want to take a look at some Hawk HPS or LTS pads.

The OEM pads seem to be a ceramic blend, since they make little dust.

The truth is ceramic pads are low dust, easy on the rotors, but their stopping power is not the best.

Take a look at some carbon metallic compound like the hawk fob better initial bite and feel.

Everything has a trade off since the carbon metallics have more bite they maybe a little more grabby and your rotors won't last as long.

If you can, upgrade your tires to H or V speed rating so that it does not have a tendency to slide or lock up as easily.

nek121328 09-09-2012 11:13 AM

Metallic pads in most cases will increase dark dusting on the wheels. Stay away from drilled/slotted rotors if you drive on dirt roads.

Schweibs 09-13-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nek121328 (Post 681277)
Stay away from drilled/slotted rotors if you drive on dirt roads.

Why is that?

Dabitz 10-22-2012 02:49 PM

I was checking my brake pads the other day since I noticed the same decrease in performance at 40K miles. The front ones were ok for the most part but the rear ones look pretty low. I could not see the bolts you need to remove to remove the caliper though. Hopefully someone will post a DYI soon. I would hate to have to over pay for this specially so early.

Ahujadaddy 10-29-2012 09:02 AM

^^Hey thanks for posting. I recently had new tires mounted, and while they were at it i took a flash light and took a good look at my brake pads. The fronts were great, plenty left. The rears weren't too bad either, but less than the front. I'm at 33k miles.

Funny thing is, i'm not disappointed in the brakes anymore since getting new tires. I wouldn't say its MUCH better than before, but it doesn't SUCK now. Must be the brand new tire tread biting in when i brake. Let's see how long that lasts though.

77rednecktruck 10-29-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 680942)
I too have noticed that as the pad wear on our 2011 Laredo the brakes don't feel as sharp.

You may want to take a look at some Hawk HPS or LTS pads.

The OEM pads seem to be a ceramic blend, since they make little dust.

The truth is ceramic pads are low dust, easy on the rotors, but their stopping power is not the best.

Take a look at some carbon metallic compound like the hawk fob better initial bite and feel.

Everything has a trade off since the carbon metallics have more bite they maybe a little more grabby and your rotors won't last as long.

If you can, upgrade your tires to H or V speed rating so that it does not have a tendency to slide or lock up as easily.

What does speed rating have to do with traction?

Agree about the pads though, I have 35K miles on my Jeep now and will probably swap them out with better pads since I will be towing a ~6000LB. trailer next summer.

Scottina06 10-29-2012 10:42 AM

The higher the speed rating....the stickier the tires. Sticky tires equals better stopping

alexdom22 02-28-2013 04:30 PM

Hi everyone!
Does anyone know how to find out if I have "Heavy duty" brakes or not? Because I am shopping for brake pads and there is two models for my GC, its a 2012 Laredo X.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

The Evil Twin 02-28-2013 05:34 PM

I too have been looking into brakes. Best I can tell is that the pads are the same for all of 'em. They all are the same PN. The rotors are different on the HD's. If you are doing rotors, then of course it matters. A quick way to tell is if your rear rotors are vented. If they are, then you have HD's.
What I would be more curious about is the torque values for the mounting bolts of the caliper.