Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   Shock bolt (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/shock-bolt-47243.html)

jeepv8 09-09-2012 04:54 PM

Shock bolt

Hi fellow jeepers, I have just fitted a full set of Rancho shocks to my WJ and found i have a clunking noise comming from the left rear could it be the standard shock bolts that i put back in ? if so could anyone recommend what oversize bolts to use, Regards peter.

cheapjeep 09-09-2012 05:05 PM

Re: Shock bolt

Hey Pete. Top is the new full shouldered bolt,bottom is old.You can see why the old ones clunk.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...G231Medium.jpg

jeepv8 09-09-2012 05:21 PM

Thankyou for the info cheapjeep, and yes the picture shows very well the problem, cheers thankyou again, Regards pete

cheapjeep 09-09-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepv8 (Post 681384)
Thankyou for the info cheapjeep, and yes the picture shows very well the problem, cheers thankyou again, Regards pete

Just make sure you never seize the new ones real good. I actually think the old bolts were Jeep's twisted way of keeping the bolts from seizing to the shock bushings.

jeepv8 09-09-2012 09:30 PM

Thanks a bit of anti seize should help

ShibumiFalco 10-06-2013 01:47 AM

Should I get a stainless steel bolt or a zinc plated hardened steel bolt?

cheapjeep 10-06-2013 07:59 AM

Stay away from ss on bolts like this because they are only like grade 3 or something. Any steel M12-1.75x70 MM case hardened full shouldered bolt will be fine. Just make sure to use some kind of never seize.

ShibumiFalco 10-09-2013 02:54 PM

First, let me introduce myself. I'm from Nashville, TN and proud, newly owner of a just purchased, used 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 4.7 4x4 with rear end clunk when the slightest up or down motion to the suspension occurs. The slightest upward press from underneath the vehicle makes a single clunk, mostly from the rear passenger side. The sound is felt the most when a finger is on either the top or bottom of the shocks.

Yay....

The wk is in over-all good condition, albeit with high miles of 158,000. New GY Fortera HL tires. Aftermarket shocks on the rear: Gabriel Ultra with minor small rust spots.

So, yesterday I replaced the rear shock's, top and bottom, factory necked mounting bolts with Home Depot's M12-1.75x70mm Hex Cap Bolt with full shoulder, zinc, 8.8, with anti-seize (They were in stock at the second closest location from me.) I was also able to fit only one M12 flat washer in each top mount on the outside of the shocks, as that one was hard enough to get in. Torqued to 70 ft lbs on top; 85 ft lbs on bottoms.

IT WORKED!!! NO CLUNKING!

It WAS so nice...

It started again after less that 24 hrs and 100 miles of city/hwy, the exact same sound. While installing them yesterday, the rubbers looked in fine shape (nothing looked to be busted or anything obvious.) The metal cylinder (shock mounting bolt sleeve) in the shock heads that the bolt goes through were a bit rusted. I wd-40'd them and simply wiped the inside. The sleeves were also slightly positioned outside of the bushing so the inward side was recessed. I centered them mostly. I did notice the frame mounts bent inwards some after torqueing them down... However, at the time the clunk was gone. That's all I cared.

So, before I go redo all that I just did, any suggestions?

xJoshxx 10-27-2013 02:20 PM

Should of burned the OEM center bushing out the of the shocks.

thats what i did when I lifted my WJ. Perfect Fit.

ShibumiFalco 10-27-2013 02:31 PM

I wish I could have. I bought the Jeep with the aftermarket suspension already installed. I have been looking around at a local four wheels part store and other suspension shops for factory sleeves. I Was given some that probably came from a Jeep Wrangler. I also got some Energy Suspension poly bushings. I am waiting to do the repair to try to find the OEM sleeves so I don't have to do any major cutting in shaping of the sleeves I have. Any other suggestions that could be helpful?