Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Daytime Running Light Replacement DRL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/daytime-running-light-replacement-drl-47247.html)

gmtaylor3 09-09-2012 06:23 PM

Daytime Running Light Replacement DRL

One of my daytime running lights is out. Is that something that has to be taken to the dealership to repair or can I do it myself? Also, is there a temporary way to disable the one that is NOT blown out so that my care doesn't look weird in the meantime?

yocubed 09-09-2012 07:11 PM

Re: Daytime Running Light Replacement DRL

The DRL should be a 3157 bulb (per page 526 of the 2011 manual) but somewhat difficult to access with the stock airbox on. If you have an aftermarket intake then it's easier to get to because the stock air filter and it's housing limits your access.

FAUEE 09-09-2012 07:13 PM

The passenger side bulb is easy to get to. The driver's side one requires you to partially remove the airbox.

Which bulb is blown?

TheNotoriousROB 10-03-2012 05:35 PM

Passenger DRL is out here. Can't find anything online about how to change it, even searched on YouTube. The only thing I've seen here is to open the hood and screw something 1/4 turn to pull out the light... Somehow? Waiting for the engine to cool to attempt it... But is it really "easy to get to" and change? Trying to avoid a trip to the dealer. Thanks

DurangoZJ 10-03-2012 05:56 PM

Just got done replacing both sides. Passenger side you'll have to squeeze your arm in a bit to access the back of the bulb housing. No biggie.

Drivers side requires removal of the airbox, power steering reservoir (for me).

FAUEE 10-03-2012 06:21 PM

I've never taken the fluid reservoir to do the driver's side. But I guess I don't have fat arms or anything and am used to working with little room for them.

DurangoZJ 10-03-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 692004)
I've never taken the fluid reservoir to do the driver's side. But I guess I don't have fat arms or anything and am used to working with little room for them.

Are you talking about the windshield wiper fluid reservoir? I didn't have to do that either. Power steering fluid I just had to unbolt so the hoses would move a bit more freely so I could get the airbox out. I have skinny arms and don't see anyway one could get the bulb out without removing the airbox.

FAUEE 10-04-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DurangoZJ (Post 692021)
Are you talking about the windshield wiper fluid reservoir? I didn't have to do that either. Power steering fluid I just had to unbolt so the hoses would move a bit more freely so I could get the airbox out. I have skinny arms and don't see anyway one could get the bulb out without removing the airbox.

I usually finagle the airbox out of the way without removing the washer reservoir. I usually just sort of snap the airbox out of the way. The "snorkel" can actually be removed separately, which would allow for easy access (and probably a little nicer intake sound), but I've left it in as it should at least direct the cold air from the gap between the hood and the light into the airbox.

AAAA 10-07-2012 11:33 AM

My driver's side DRL burned out a couple of weeks ago. Dealer replaced for $20 total. Always a story tho... when I called from the road the service guy did not know what a DRL was. Then after checking told me JGC's did not have DRL's. Got there, read the newspaper a while, paid, got my vehicle, DRL was still burned out. Why? Because the tech replaced one of the taillights though the work order was written up correctly. They were very considerate and corrected it and gave me my $20 back and a car wash.

Benzie002 05-08-2014 06:43 PM

Just did my 2011. Passenger side, unclip the relay behind the light housing and you can reach with your hand easily. Drivers side, remove top cover to air filter, by disconnecting the two hoses. Then wiggle out the air dam and you have easy access to the drl. No need to remove the entire air box.

3157 bulbs

Thanks

jeepd00d 05-10-2014 07:01 PM

Thank you @Benzie002!

I was able to wiggle (with some force) the air dam/snorkel after removing the top cover of the air filter housing. This provided easy access to the drivers side DRL.

The passenger side was easy as others have stated.

ajs800 05-12-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzie002 (Post 1019094)
Just did my 2011. Passenger side, unclip the relay behind the light housing and you can reach with your hand easily. Drivers side, remove top cover to air filter, by disconnecting the two hoses. Then wiggle out the air dam and you have easy access to the drl. No need to remove the entire air box.

3157 bulbs

Thanks

exactly! I just replaced mine with CREE LED 3157 and had them both replaced in under 10min. Passenger side takes seconds while the driver side a little longer due to the filter and air dam and hoses.