Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Rear clunking/rattling noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/rear-clunking-rattling-noise-47319.html)

Suther 09-11-2012 10:44 AM

Rear clunking/rattling noise

I would like to know which configuration is experiencing the rear clunking/rattling noise. It usually occurs while driving over small bumps, cracks or gaps in the pavement (lake washboard like or small gaps in your driveway).

This thread is intended to cover the various configuration if clunking appears and what the dealer has done so far to resolve it.

For more information visit this thread:Wk2 Rear Knocking Noise Aussie GC Laredo - Page 8 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

For those riders with the clunking noise and NO TOW PACKAGE, there are several TSBs in place: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm#RSUSPENSION
Check with your dealer if they have been applied.

Surprisingly, no rattling or clunking reported from the European Market! They have stiffer suspension though.

Also as a summary, following issues have caused a similar clunk:
- defect shock (usually oily)
- loose swaybar
- damaged swaybar bushings
- misalignet hatch and/or glass hatch
- missing nut on rear spoiler (thanks ChrisOC)
- stuff in the spare tire compartment;)

Fixes (accumulated from this forum):
- fix the above
- replace SLS with standard shocks (spring has to be changed too, to avoid sagging)
- currently (01 Oct 2012) there are indications that dealers fix the defect SLS by putting 68069680AB (SDA, SES or SDM (Export + SLS) - 494,- U$) into the reported cars. These shocks are in the market since 2010, so not new. However, they might be for export only (see http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/wk2-r...tml#post682326
- It is announced by several dealers since August that a Chrysler is working on a fix to be expected in the next couple of weeks. Part# 68069843AF appeared in the system as new revision but can't be ordered yet. Is this the fixed shock?

ChrisOC 09-11-2012 04:15 PM

Re: Rear clunking/rattling noise

Suther, I had that same noise and it turned out to be the rear spoiler was missing one nut and the other was loose. I tightened the one and searched the back and found the other and since I have tightened them I have no sounds back there. I hope this helps and solves your problem. Also, it looks like we have the same jeep, color and all.

edit: I just read your other post, so my response doesn't sound like the same problem, but I still left my response just in case it is a simple nut not being there.

ernestd 09-11-2012 04:31 PM

Hi Suther!
I have a 2011 JGC overland 5.7,quadra lift ,class IV tow group.My noises are exactly as yours.my dealer changed the drivers side rear leaking schock ,schock mount and cap.That did not fix the issue.

HYTEK 09-11-2012 04:37 PM

2012 Limited 5.7 QT2 with tow package. I have the same issue and the dealership ordered new rear struts today. I'm not sure it's going to cure this but I guess I'll find out soon.

BumChuck 09-13-2012 04:48 PM

I have a 2012 JGC Limited with no tow package or quadra lift and I have this same issue! my lift-gate (hatch) is misaligned! could it be this? info please! :D

Thank you,

BumChuck

HYTEK 09-13-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumChuck (Post 683338)
I have a 2012 JGC Limited with no tow package or quadra lift and I have this same issue! my lift-gate (hatch) is misaligned! could it be this? info please! :D

Thank you,

BumChuck

Different issue but definitely something I'd be mad about too.

BumChuck 09-13-2012 09:51 PM

I forgot to mention that my back area also rattles! my bad! haha

kkreit01 09-14-2012 12:33 PM

I have the clunk on my Laredo X with Tow Package.

Suther 09-14-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumChuck (Post 683338)

Thank you,

BumChuck

Easy help;) You have to find a driver, empty the spare tire compartment, climb into it and listen to the noise. Try to find out where it comes from.:D Just beware I got kind a motion sick by working around there.

You could also put some rags into betewen liftgate and body to prevent rattling. If that doesn't help, it was probably not the cause.

HYTEK 09-14-2012 08:49 PM

I towed a trailer for the first time today with the Jeep and no clunking or rattling.

Suther 09-15-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HYTEK (Post 683773)
I towed a trailer for the first time today with the Jeep and no clunking or rattling.

Just to clarify; do you already have the new shocks in or did you tow with your old ones?
Loading doesn't change the occurrence or characteristic of my noise.

HYTEK 09-15-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suther (Post 683879)
Just to clarify; do you already have the new shocks in or did you tow with your old ones?
Loading doesn't change the occurrence or characteristic of my noise.

Still the old ones. I'm waiting for the new ones to come in. I'll be towing the trailer again today fully loaded so I'll double check if it's completely gone because last night it was empty.