Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Replacement shocks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/replacement-shocks-47413.html)

carvinbassplyr 09-12-2012 11:52 PM

Replacement shocks

Hi there, new to the forum. I have an 07 GC with stock shocks at over 90,000 miles on em so it's safe to say that they're on their way out. I know Bilstein gets a lot of praise from jeep guys, but this is a DD "luxury car" for the wife. No offroading, just looking for a stock-ish ride with better body roll control. From what I gather Bilstens are rather stiff, but that is coming from a lot of older model jeep owners who's suspensions are already stiff in general lol. I had Monroe Reflexes on a blazer I owned a while back and was pleased with them, so my automatic thought was to get the sensas or reflexes for the jeep. However, before I pulled the trigger I wanted to check into what people were saying about the Bilsteins for these models as well as the sensas or reflexes?

tfranzone 09-13-2012 12:39 PM

Re: Replacement shocks

people here LOVE the bilsteins, BUT they will stiffen up the ride so i've heard and reduce that body roll as well as get rid of that floaty bounciness of the stockers...and a lot of people, especially those who stay on flat land, tend to think they are "harsh"....
if this is a "luxury ride for the wife", I would probably play it safe and go with the Monroes... they will mostl likely suit your needs, reducing the body roll and giving a nicer ride, but also be a softer feel, more like stock than the Bilsteins.. just my 2cents..

when I get new shocks and struts, I'll be going with the Bilsteins, but my jeep has a small lift and suited more for offroad than luxury... (not that I dont think my WK is purrdy) ha

good luck on the new shocks:thumbsup:

jrjeep 09-13-2012 01:05 PM

i say bilsteins. my jeep is not for offroading at all and the ride
is great. But then again i have the eibach springs with
wk bilsteins. I would go for shock quality and bilsteins are your best bet.

good luck

carvinbassplyr 09-13-2012 02:57 PM

I probably should've mentioned that I live near Detroit, MI...so "stiff" or "harsh" shocks don't sound appealing when I think about driving around on the warzone-like city streets around here. We bought the car because of the ride quality when we test drove it on these streets. The bumps were absorbed not bounced/hopped over, and therefore less noticable. The wife wants/needs this to ride like a car not a truck.

covet66 09-13-2012 04:36 PM

Does anyone ever just use factory replacement shocks? Maybe a dumb question- cost could be ridicolous perhaps- or maybe aftermarket just offers more choices in ride quality and price, dunno...

Uncle Paul 09-13-2012 05:43 PM

While the Bilsteins are a bit firmer, your stock springs are also a bit softer, so you might just be happy with them.

More than giving a firm ride, they give a controlled ride. Bet your wife loves them after 30 days. Would never go back to the wallow.

mTBrunner83 09-13-2012 05:51 PM

The bilstein HD's are not nearly as stiff as people would make you believe. At 90K miles a new set of shocks and struts are going to feel stiff either way. I would go with the Bilstein's but the monroe sensatracs are going to be a closer to factory ride if that is what you are truly looking for.

YJ John 09-13-2012 07:22 PM

I have a pair a new, in the box KYB GR2 for the rear that I am not going to use. (Bottom of the page on the attached link). I changed my plans and got the Bilsteins as I tow alot and thought they would provide beter control. The KYB advertise OEM quality ride. If interested PM me and I can find out what shipping would cost, maybe we can work out a deal ?

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index....cted_year=2007

stashgto 09-13-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covet66 (Post 683334)
Does anyone ever just use factory replacement shocks? Maybe a dumb question- cost could be ridicolous perhaps- or maybe aftermarket just offers more choices in ride quality and price, dunno...

I went with factory shocks, and struts 9 months ago.They were nice for 10,000, and the went back to mush. I've been sorry about that decision for about 5 months now. They will be coming off this weekend, and replaced by Bilsteins up front with mll's in the rear.

Walt 09-13-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covet66 (Post 683334)

I did.

My shocks were leaking and ineffective at 50K miles. Had extended warranty, so dealer replaced them at no charge. For free, it was a great decision. The replacement right front shock failed and started leaking at <6K miles and had to be done again.

Ride improved immediately (as you would expect), but is degrading again with 35K miles on the second set....so I'll be in the market again soon.

WRT pricing, the OEM's were more than twice as expensive as comparable aftermarket shocks. The OEM's are hydraulic. Monotube gas shocks are a better choice and probably much cheaper than OEM's. Takes a little investigation to understand the offerings (monotube gas vs. twin-tube gas vs. hydraulic), but the newer luxury cars use monotube gas shocks.

carvinbassplyr 09-13-2012 10:07 PM

Which bilsteins raise the jeep? I do not want that, if anything I'd like to lower it someday. I do like the combo of softer springs with stiffer shocks. Soft springs allow more give when going over bumps while the stiffer shocks keep better control of the springs (as shock absorbers should do). When I lowered the blazer I used to own, I had a leaf removed in the rear to give it the zq8 (extreme) spring pack. That lowered it about 1.5" and made the ride in the rear "softer". I then put belltech street performance shocks on which better controlled the spring. So because the spring was softer it would give more when going over bumps but the shock would stop the bucking from the rebound after the bump, it was a perfect combo and an awesome ride. If the bilsteins accomplish this with the jeep then I'm all for it, I just don't want shocks that make your teeth rattle everytime you hit a bump.

stashgto 09-14-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carvinbassplyr (Post 683464)
Which bilsteins raise the jeep? I do not want that, if anything I'd like to lower it someday. I do like the combo of softer springs with stiffer shocks. Soft springs allow more give when going over bumps while the stiffer shocks keep better control of the springs (as shock absorbers should do). When I lowered the blazer I used to own, I had a leaf removed in the rear to give it the zq8 (extreme) spring pack. That lowered it about 1.5" and made the ride in the rear "softer". I then put belltech street performance shocks on which better controlled the spring. So because the spring was softer it would give more when going over bumps but the shock would stop the bucking from the rebound after the bump, it was a perfect combo and an awesome ride. If the bilsteins accomplish this with the jeep then I'm all for it, I just don't want shocks that make your teeth rattle everytime you hit a bump.

There is a gentleman here Scottina who wrote this link I'm going to leave for you. This should help if you still have troubles drop him a note he's been helpful to me .
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/the-complete-05-10-wk-grand-cherokee-suspension-thread-525.html