Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Windshield washer smells like poo (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/windshield-washer-smells-like-poo-47420.html)

andyh 09-13-2012 09:27 AM

Windshield washer smells like poo

Anytime I use the windshield washer I smell a sewage type smell in a cabin a few seconds later. It will gag you. How would you go about cleaning out the washer system? My theory is that the service tech I bad mouthed took a dump in reservoir.

CPT2010 09-13-2012 09:29 AM

Re: Windshield washer smells like poo

Drain all the fluid add some water with some dawn in it and run it through. then add water from a hose to get all the soap out the system then you should be good.

Relwarc 09-13-2012 09:53 AM

...... is there a turd in your reservoir? pics or it didnt happen.

neiltb 09-13-2012 09:57 AM

siphon it out with a hose!!

stick a garden hose in the bottle as deep as you can, turn on and grab a coffee, allow to flow for 5 mins, turn on washer to clear that line out too, use up water before it gets cold out and replace with washer fluid.

MattE 09-13-2012 10:03 AM

LOL!!!!

I had a cat that use to spray the vents by the windshield wiper on our car. Put the defrost on and you would have that pleasant smell of cat piss. I don't have that cat anymore needless to say :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

brandont 09-13-2012 10:53 AM

I find some gas stations get that smell in the washer fluid containers they keep out by the pumps. I think it is the ones that just use water vs a detergent fluid and obviously the water alone doesn’t kill any bacteria. All the bug guts and bird poop turn those reservoirs into cesspools of bacteria and stench. My guess is they refilled your car’s reservoir with fluid from a common container that they use to scrub all the customers’ windshields. Flush it and put it some good detergent stuff – maybe add a half bottle of rubbing alcohol for good measure.

Ratchet 09-13-2012 11:58 AM

Definately contaminated fluid. Drain is instructed above, flush, and refill.

Cherodude 09-13-2012 08:22 PM

After flushing, add some chlorine bleach to disinfect the inside of the reservoir and spray lines. But not too much.

In other words, say a capful of bleach (2 to 3ml) mixed into the volume of the refilled reservoir (not straight bleach!).

brandont 09-14-2012 06:34 AM

I would not use bleach - I would be afraid of rusting, drying out rubber, and it's effect on the paint.

JVBW0527 09-14-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 683153)
...... is there a turd in your reservoir? pics or it didnt happen.

this is just classic! I can't stop laughing!!! :lol: LOL!!
I was gonna say the same thing!

AAAA 09-14-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltb (Post 683155)
siphon it out with a hose!!

stick a garden hose in the bottle as deep as you can

Then suck on the hose until the fluid goes in your mouth, slip your finger over the hose removing it when the end of the hose is lower than the washer fluid reservoir.;)

This is one of the strangest threads in a long time. :D

JoeSchmoe007 09-14-2012 11:28 AM

The revenge of the Techs!