Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

BFG Rugged Terrain T/A

11K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  lysol 
#1 ·
Im getting the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A put on tomorrow. I was going to go an inch taller, but just decided to go with the stock tire size 265/60/18 I will report back tomorrow with pictures and my overall opinion on the tires. They have gotten some mixed reviews so we will see..

#4 ·
Yes those Latitudes are not going to cut it.. The guy at the tire shop tried to tell me that I do not want to get the BFG's when I told him what they were going on.. I laughed and told him the latitudes are not going to cut it and there was no convincing me not going for an A/T type tire!

I agree that most reviews are pretty good on dry pavement.. I have heard some say they get a little loud, and that they are not good in the snow.. But I will make my own assumption on those issues.

Stand by for PICS :thumbsup:

#5 ·
HYTEK do you have the QL or the standard suspension? I have the standard suspension (non GL) and want to lift/level out the front end so bad but hear that the leveling kit is a PITA to install.

#6 · (Edited)
I have the standard suspension also. That leveling kit would be great if it didn't require cutting the strut bolts on the factory mount. Sucks because if you want to return to stock you'll have to buy new strut mounts. My buddy just bought a Rough Country leveling kit for his Avalanche thats really simple to install and requires no altering of the stock strut mounts. Hopefully a kit like that'll be out soon for us.

#7 ·
Yeah I am aware of those leveling spacers and they are very simple.. I agree that it SUCKS! that you have to cut the bolts.. I am with you, hopefully they come out with something that doesnt require cutting.. But unfortunately it sounds like it must be the configuration/design and the only way around it is to cut the stock bolts.. I hope I am wrong though

#8 ·
Here are the pictures of the 265/60/18 BFGoodrich rugged terrain t/a that were installed today. I drove the jeep straight home so only have about 3 miles on the tires so far. I have noticed it takes bumps alot better(smoother) than the michelins. They are more aggressive so there is a slight vibration due to the larger lugs/aggressive design.
Pics..

old tires..

#10 ·
I am loving the more aggressive look they have to them.. I especially like the side wall "lugs" or whatever you wish to call them.. Kind of remind me of the nittos

#13 ·
HAHA sure I will take the blame. LOL I told the fiance that its probably going to be a bad winter so we need something with a little more meat. After a few days of me mentioning it and looking at tires she was cool with it.

As for the old tires I kept 2 of the michelins. I will probably post them up on craigslist and see if I cant get a couple bucks out of them:thumbsup:

#15 ·
All good choices.. I was debating between those three you mentioned and even the yoko geolander a/t.. And I went with the BFG because of the price the local tire shop could do for them and I also really like the mean looking sidewall.. LOL anything to get rid of those latitudes

#17 ·
Greetings,

I reported in a previous post about the increasing noise regarding the Rugged Terrain T/A and now I have a further update. I went back to the tire shop for them to look for any other defects. After a different mechanic went for a test rider, he asked me to go back to the dealer for them to check the wheel bearings. Sure enough, the Jeep service center informed me that the wheel bearings are causing the excessive noise and they are going to be replaced once the backordered parts come in.

If this does not solve the problem then the tire shop is going to contact BFG and get me a replacement set.

Here is the full review that I posted earlier.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showpost.php?p=670265&postcount=5

Best for now.:)

#18 ·
Greetings again,

I had the front left wheel and the right side of the front differential wheel bearings replaced under warranty at 22.3K. This was the major cause of the road noise over the last few months. They said it was possible the bearings went much earlier.

With regards to the BFG, I now have the tires for 18K+ and the tread is now almost down to 10.5/32 and I getting the typical noise from an BFG all-terrian tire. With the JGC having above average sound damping, the noise is not bad. Bring on the winter, I have yet see how the performance is.

Best for now.:)

#20 · (Edited)
Greetings,

I just past 20k on them and the noise is started to get a little louder. After the holidays, I will have them inspected again. I got the tires the moment they were released. I am being to wonder if the first run (June 2011) could have been a problem for the size, 265/60/R18. IF the noise get to the point were I can not stand them, I will look into a different tire.

The wet/dry performance is still outstanding. Were the Latitudes was pure bad unless it was a dry day. Off-Road they still do fine in light to medium conditions. I am still waiting to see how they really perform here in the Northeast winters.

Best for now and happy holidays. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.