Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   to tow or not to tow (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/to-tow-or-not-to-tow-47487.html)

rachadwell@hotmail.com 09-15-2012 12:06 AM

to tow or not to tow

I have a 25 ft travel trailer empty weight 4760 with a loaded weight of 6200 and I want to pull it with my 2006 Grand Cherokee with 4.7 V8 I have a class 3 hitch with load bars and stabelizer can this be done or do I need a bigger tow truck. Any and all advice will be helpful. Thankyou.

honda_fox3 09-15-2012 12:20 AM

Re: to tow or not to tow

Not sure about your 06 but my 04 4.7 is rated at 6500 towing. That being said just because thats the rating doesn't mean that its a good idea. 25ft is a lot of trailer for that size vehicle. Can it be done yes, should it......... maybe. A lot depends on other factors like do you have a equalizer hitch, trailer brakes, some type of load helper springs/air bags etc on your jeep? What is the overall condition of your jeep? How is the trailer loaded? Is all the extra weight loaded in front, back, over the axles?

If it were me I would for sure have an equalizer hitch, load helpers, trailer brakes and some type of upgraded brakes on the tow vehicle. I would also look at ways to reduce the loaded weight such as not hauling water but rather filling at or close to the campsite and not hauling gray water back, same with black water if possible.

Another thing to look at is your driving/towing abilities. Me personally, I have been looking at a similar sized trailer and will probably buy it and pull with my jeep at least until I get another truck but I have been driving since 9 and pulling trailers about the same time frame (farm boy).

Last thing to look at is terrain. Going across Nebraska is very different then traversing the Rockies. Both have their challenges such as wind, steep grades, etc.

It may be worth looking into aftermarket tranny and oil coolers also if you plan to do this a lot. Just to keep your jeep happy.

Long story short I would do it. I would try to lighten the load if possible but I would still do it either way. Take it slow and pay attention to yourself, your trailer, the terrain and the other drivers.

Maybe cheapjeep will chime in I know he pulls a camper with his.

P.S. If you wreck don't do it in northern Utah, I don't want to scrape a fellow JG member off the freeway.

honda_fox3 09-15-2012 12:25 AM

Oh by the way next time try to post in the WK section so we can keep thing organized. Welcome to the site hope it helps your wildest dreams come true!!!! Ha ha

rachadwell@hotmail.com 09-15-2012 08:17 PM

Dustinm4 Thankyou for your reply, your thoughts will give me more to think about as I make my choises.

Duff Daddy 09-17-2012 09:18 PM

No way,that 4.7 will hate life. I have a 5.7 in my GC also had one in my Ram 1500, That hauls my 3k car trailer and 3200 car ... 6200 + misc tools, the truck did it fine but you def felt it, we will see how the jeep does on its first trip...7hrs to NJ and back....

But to answer your questions, yes it will but god it will be a LONG ride with that jeep

suzieque 09-18-2012 10:19 AM

I pull a 5000lb travel trailer, 21 feet long. I use rear air bags, load distribution hitch and just recently put an anti sway bar on my hitch cause cross winds were scaring me. My wk diesel is rated at 7000lbs, but my 5000lb travel trailer is the max I would go with.

And of course I have electric (trailer) brakes. :)

HemiDawg 09-18-2012 02:02 PM

Def need trailer brakes if you dont have them (wasn't listed above).

coffaqcof 09-18-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachadwell@hotmail.com (Post 683843)
I have a 25 ft travel trailer empty weight 4760 with a loaded weight of 6200 and I want to pull it with my 2006 Grand Cherokee with 4.7 V8 I have a class 3 hitch with load bars and stabelizer can this be done or do I need a bigger tow truck. Any and all advice will be helpful. Thankyou.

Did you have the class III installed or was it stock? If stock, it's likely a class IV, based on the 06 owner's manual. If it's truly a class III aftermarket installation, the max trailer weight is only 5000lbs.