Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   clicking noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/clicking-noise-47505.html)

bssmith1220 09-15-2012 02:14 PM

clicking noise

I have a 2010 WK with the hemi and QTII. It has 55k miles on it currently. I am getting a rotational clicking noise that only occurs when coasting around 20-30mph. It goes away when my speed gets below 20mph and does not change when braking or turning. It does however go away immediately if I put the transmission into nuetral while its making the noise. Anyone have any clue on what to check? Thanks!

Alex 09-15-2012 03:45 PM

Re: clicking noise

I'm also getting a clicking noise, seems to be around the rear passenger side. Only when i'm between 5-10 mph. My mechanic has no clue what it is. I have a 2005 3.7L.

swing4terps 09-17-2012 03:16 PM

Broken/loose e-brake assembly maybe?

dr.lee.baugh 09-17-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 684714)
Broken/loose e-brake assembly maybe?

x2.

The e-brake shoes can fall apart and rattle around in the drum...took me a good couple of weeks to track that one down...

Alex 09-17-2012 06:43 PM

If that's the case, is that expensive to fix?

bssmith1220 09-18-2012 07:23 AM

As far as my noise though it goes away when the transmission is put into nuetral, I wouldnt think that would happen if it was the ebrake making noise.

dr.lee.baugh 09-18-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bssmith1220 (Post 685018)
As far as my noise though it goes away when the transmission is put into nuetral, I wouldnt think that would happen if it was the ebrake making noise.

Yes, this is likely not the cause of your noise - also the speed range doesn't really fit with the ebrake hypothesis.

I would check the drive u-joints at the end of the drive shafts to see if there is any play in them...not sure why they would vary with the transmission in gear vs. out of gear, but who knows...

Have you tried coasting in neutral with the vehicle shut off, to get a better listen as to where the sound is coming from (remember, if doing this there is no power steering or power braking so it's something that you want to try in an empty lot or deserted road).

Your best bet may be to get it on a lift and try to replicate the noise. There are so many things that can make a clicking noise related to vehicle it'll be tough to narrow it down while it is on the ground and driving.

bssmith1220 09-18-2012 11:10 AM

I've tried all situations I can think of. It won't make the noise with the transmission in neutral no matter what the speed. I plan on getting it on a lift in the next couple of days. I'll report back what I find!

bssmith1220 09-20-2012 04:25 PM

I put the jeep on a lift today and found nothing suspicious. Everything is tight with no excessive play in any suspension component or the driveshafts/axle shafts and ebrake shoes are in tact. Any other ideas?