Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Weekend project! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/weekend-project-47518.html)

dcchris562 09-15-2012 06:53 PM

Weekend project!

2 Attachment(s)
So this weekend i decided that the jeep need a new cat-less free flowing y-pipe and a new set of headers
So far im still in the process of removing the stock headers. I started working on it around 1pm today haha
I can see why people don't like to mess with the headers haha
For the Y-pipe i'll be using 2.5" piping from the headers until they join up and become 3" to the cat-back. What do you guys think??

dcchris562 09-19-2012 10:58 PM

Re: Weekend project!

1 Attachment(s)
ok, i know i said weekend project but i could work on it that much do my neighbor that lives in the back being prego. Anyways here is a picture of the semi finished y-pipe. it just needs a o2 bungs and a flange

dcchris562 09-19-2012 11:09 PM

this was my first time welding and making something like this. i may wait until i get better before i start fabing up some headers.
what do you guys think about it so far??

soontobesrt 09-19-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcchris562 (Post 686006)
this was my first time welding and making something like this. i may wait until i get better before i start fabing up some headers.
what do you guys think about it so far??

Looks good, nice work for a first time Id say. Is running catless legal in CA? I dont know the deal but NJ just went to an emisison only inspection recently so I know I couldnt pass but you could always do a stop n swap if ya wanted. Should give ya a nice little boost higher in the powerband.

As far as fabbing up headers, unless you really know what you're doing, that could be a rough project. I mean the design has to be very strategic to fit properly and the welds have to be legit or you may have leaks etc. Also improper bends and routing could hurt performance as the exhaust may not flow well. Anyway, Id consult with an exhaust shop/machine shop or at least a buddy who has experience bending/welding tubes or doing exhuast systems so you dont watse your time. I mean that is the only thing you really have to risk though is the time and cost of materials. What are you using btw? Good luck and keep us posted :cool:

4.whoa 09-20-2012 09:21 AM

^ x2! the guys that have had 5.7 headers made @ shops that do it,said they were not fond of it(the shops), IIRC one even said he wouldnt do another set!
You should be carefull out there in occupied,CA! you dont wanna get caught with no cats!I'm pretty sure you're gonna get some codes running like that also.modern day cats (barring faulty ones) arent the power robbers the early ones were. the biggest problem with the 5.7 is the stock mani's.
P.S. your work does look nice by the way :)

05wkguy 09-20-2012 12:55 PM

Looks really clean so far, I do wish you luck with the headers. It's a tricky job,even on a tube frame race car with way more room so you've definately have your work cut out for you.

How are you dealing with the tuning needed for eliminating the cats?