Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Throttle body Spacer (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/throttle-body-spacer-47525.html)

hollowpoint515 09-16-2012 09:53 AM

Throttle body Spacer

Any one used or heard of the airaid throttle body spacer?

It says it improves gas milage throttle response and overall HP. I put one in my old mustang and noticed the most in throttle response. Out of all the sites I found it on nothing gives specifics on how much is gained from it well here is the link

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17008_0009.htm

Marlin 09-17-2012 06:15 AM

Re: Throttle body Spacer

Don't waste your time mate. Any gains are simply placebo effect ;)

montgb 09-17-2012 09:17 AM

^^^ What this man says.

I looked at adding a spacer as well, but the research didn't support the claims. I got a ported throttle body instead.

AIRAID Filters 09-17-2012 05:33 PM

Hi hollowpoint,

I can assure you that we wouldn't make a spacer for your Jeep if there weren't any benefits to be had; what would be the point? Typically you get a small hp and mpg increase, but personally I think the most noticeable thing is the improved part throttle response. If you noticed a difference with your other vehicle, I think you'll be pleased with what ours offers for your Jeep. Hope this helps.

11JeepLTD 09-17-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIRAID Filters (Post 684776)
Hi hollowpoint,

I can assure you that we wouldn't make a spacer for your Jeep if there weren't any benefits to be had; what would be the point? Typically you get a small hp and mpg increase, but personally I think the most noticeable thing is the improved part throttle response. If you noticed a difference with your other vehicle, I think you'll be pleased with what ours offers for your Jeep. Hope this helps.

Want to send me one to try it out;)

hollowpoint515 09-17-2012 07:22 PM

Thanks for the input I think Im going to go with the PTB and then start saving for the KN intake. This is gona be the very first mod to my WK2 I'm thinking about tint too. I want to get the RRO lift but I want to wait till after the SEMA show and see if anything new comes out I'm crossing my fingers.

Marlin 09-17-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIRAID Filters (Post 684776)
Hi hollowpoint,

Exactly. And if there actually WERE inprovements from such a simple modification, the manufacturer would simply make their intakes differently with a longer intake path to mimic a "spacer".

Let's be honest here, people like to do this mod because it's instant gratification.
1. It gives them some underbonnet bling.
2. Typically only a few easy to get at bolts and a clamp or two need to be removed/replaced so even a layman can do it himself at home.
3. No special gasket sealants are usually needed.
4. The sellers make a fantastic margin on what is a very easily manufactured part. Anodise it a pretty colour and make even better margins!
5. If any tangible gains are made (very unlikely on any properly designed modern engine) its more than likely because the fitter cleaned the dirty throttle body internals rather than the spacer having any effect.

There's my opinion :thumbsup:
I'll refrain from calling TBS mods snake oil out of respect :)

andyh 09-18-2012 07:06 AM

How does the spacer improve throttle response? Aren't you increasing plenum volume?