Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Superlift WK Kits now Suck (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/superlift-wk-kits-now-suck-47599.html)

RedRocker 09-17-2012 08:41 PM

Superlift WK Kits now Suck

Had the rear drop brackets from my original Superlift replaced with Superlift's new lower control arms that eliminate the drop brackets (a keep getting hung up on the damn drop brackets). After the replacement, the rear end seemed a little harsher over bumps. Then I exit the parking garage at work where I always get crossed up due to a high curb and angled exit, and I get a loud BANG from the rear. After some investigation, it appears that Superlift has gone to poly bushings (probably to save money), which has ruined the stock-like ride as well as introduced a loud BANG whenever the rear suspension is exercised.

I personally would NOT recommend a new Superlift 4" lift (or any other Superlift kit that might use poly bushings). What a pity.

Guess I'll have my stock control arms lengthened and keep the crappy Superlift control arms as trail spares.

omelet 09-18-2012 12:12 AM

Are you sure they are tightened completely? It sounds like one of the bolts is loose and is allowing the arm to move under stress. If you do end up modding the stock arms be sure to get them bent so they wont contact the sway bar links when flexed.

RedRocker 09-18-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omelet (Post 684946)
Are you sure they are tightened completely? It sounds like one of the bolts is loose and is allowing the arm to move under stress. If you do end up modding the stock arms be sure to get them bent so they wont contact the sway bar links when flexed.

Had the arms installed at reputable shop, took it back after I heard the bangs, they rechecked their work and tried a few fixes and gave up. I don't blame them, poly bushings suck and even if they could fix the bang, the ride is sub-optimal.

Do your arms have poly bushings?

Thanks for the tip on the bend, I'm sure that will save me some money and hassles.

omelet 09-18-2012 10:07 PM

Yes my arms have poly bushings too. I'm not the biggest fan of them either but they haven't given me any trouble. Eventually I plan to either make my own or have them custom made. I tried to find a set of Rubicon Express arms that would work, but our bushings are odd sizes that RE doesn't make. So it will have to be a custom job to have what I want. I want to have flex joints on the axle end and rubber bushings at the frame end. Slightly longer arms would also be nice, but if I really want to go that route then I would go all out. Mod the fuel tank to accommodate a custom double triangulated long arm kit!!! That is really the end goal once it becomes my trail rig and no longer my primary family rig. Well that with a custom EVO cantilever suspension :D

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Valpacer 09-19-2012 05:58 AM

Re: Superlift WK Kits now Suck

I have already destroyed a set of the poly bushings, bt until the adjustable arms come in they will have to do. I have a set of upper adjustables being made (mainly to correct the pinion angle) with flex joints on the body end and the factory rubber on the diff end.

Great minds Nathan, but im getting rid of the tank from the factory spot altogether! Using a modded LRA tank to take the factory sender (goes where the spare was) to clear all the space under the Jeep.

Dave

omelet 09-19-2012 10:01 PM

Nice Dave! You will have to let us know when the arms are finished and if it wouldn't cost too much, maybe we can get a couple sets sent across the pond?!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2