Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Starter Issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/starter-issue-47626.html)

CatMan879 09-18-2012 11:56 AM

Starter Issue

Today when i left for work I noticed it took a while for the jeep to start, but it did start finally. I went to the gas station filled up tried to start it and nothing. Called a friend for a jump and nothing. I went to PT then back to the jeep. Got under the jeep while my friend cranked it, hit the starter and it started! so then I went to advanced auto picked up a new starter (never turned the jeep off) got home turned it off tried starting again and nothing. so i went ahead a replaced the starter. unhooked the neg terminal replaced the starter hook the negative back up, started it up and she was good to go. cleaned up everything went to try and start her again and we have nothing again. any suggestions guys this is blowing my mind.

JMLoughrey 09-18-2012 12:06 PM

Re: Starter Issue

Hows your battery, when the jeeps battery starts to fail it gives rediculous symptoms. Also, could be ignition switch related.

I had a similar issue with my 2007 WK back when i first got it, long story short, i dont know what fixed it, dealer replaced everything from ignition switch, to starter, to fuse box, to trans control mod among other things.

CatMan879 09-18-2012 12:13 PM

The battery is good I checked it with my multimeter.

CatMan879 09-18-2012 01:17 PM

well I'm pretty sure i have a bad starter from advanced auto I'm bring it back and hopefully exchanging it.

CatMan879 09-18-2012 02:10 PM

Ok took them both back to advanced auto and they tested both starters and both worked just fine. so what can be causing this issue. one click.... its driving me crazy I'm going to hear this click in my nightmares.

CatMan879 09-18-2012 03:24 PM

Put the old starter back in same issue started up once and then it didnt start again

CatMan879 09-18-2012 04:52 PM

Well after over 12 hours of working on this the jeep starts again and i do not know what I did the last 2 things i did before she started was pull the IOD Fuses for a few minutes and checked the Starter Relay. After i pulled the IOD she still did not turn over so i desperately pulled the starter relay for the 5th time and she started right up like nothing ever happened I starter her 4 or 5 times just to be sure and I will be starting her again before bed (hopefully).

Megatron 09-18-2012 05:11 PM

Good luck man, I had mine replaced. Turned out to be a bad battery and an ignition switch.

stashgto 09-18-2012 05:14 PM

Hopefully you're done, but did you put the support bracket back on? I put a starter in years ago, and the vehicle wouldn't start until I put a ground on it. Don't ask me why I've never had it again. I think the strap helps ground it.

ahamay115 09-18-2012 09:40 PM

how in the world did you manage to pull your starter that many times! Unfortunately today must be the day for starters, as mine wouldn't start this morning either!

It took me most of this evening in the cold and rain up here in PA to get it out but what a pain!!! Any words of advice for getting it back in? I have a 06 5.7L. I hear ya on the one click nightmare, didn't even act like it was starting to go, just occasionally it would not start, just click, but turning the key off and then back on would start every time.

So frustrating when it takes so long to remove such a simple part! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
-Chris

CatMan879 09-19-2012 10:21 AM

Honestly I don't really have any suggestions I just keep going at it trying to get it up in there :D But i kept working at it and was about to get everything done again I'm not sure what finally fixed it but shes running for now we'll see what the future brings.