Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   4.7 turbo! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/4-7-turbo-47639.html)

magna~forma 09-18-2012 04:06 PM

4.7 turbo!

Im Tired of this BS slow ass 4.7 engine geting smoked by every old granny car on the road. So if i can keep it affordable and have it done right, im going to attempt to put a turbo on my 2006 4.7L limited grand cherokee!!! F.ing exciting!!! Has any one done this or attempted this or even have any advice tips or ideas that might make this possible / Awesome lol. Ill keep thread updated on my progress. Screw a H/O 4.7 im goin for a turbo charged 4.7!

Laredo2006 09-18-2012 08:20 PM

Re: 4.7 turbo!

Hey please let me know what you find!

05wkguy 09-18-2012 08:53 PM

I don't have any direct experience with turboing a Jeep, but from what I've learned from the research I've done with my 3.7 (your 4.7 is very similiar but with 2 more cylinders) it seems that as long a you keep the boost reasonable (under 10 lbs) and are prepared to pay for cutom tuning, it should be doable.

Now, 10lbs isn't alot but should put you in the 300-320 hp-ish range, and with a properly sized turbo get you around 370+ ft lbs of torque. You may not be quite as fast as an srt-8, but very close and it would definately be a beast with that much torque!

Nobody that I know of makes a turbo kit, speciically for the 4.7, but i'd imagine a kit for a 5.7 could be adapted. Either that or a "universal" kit from a reputable company like STS can be made to work if you're reasonably handy. You'll need larger injectors to get to that power level, which is one of the big reasons you'll need the custom tuning. I'd bet dimes to dollars that no tuner is going to e-mail you a tune for that situation,so you have to plan for some dyno time. Fuel pump is sized fine.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Madanio24 09-18-2012 09:08 PM

Apparently with the WK's (not SRT) the piston rings seem to caught caught during forced induction systems which can potentially destroy an engine. Thats why kits have been discontinued for 3.7 and 4.7, you would need forged pistons with rings. I have been always looking into it and if it doesn't cost much for forged pistons/ rings with install i would defiantly be interested.

05wkguy 09-18-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madanio24 (Post 685409)
Apparently with the WK's (not SRT) the piston rings seem to caught caught during forced induction systems which can potentially destroy an engine. Thats why kits have been discontinued for 3.7 and 4.7, you would need forged pistons with rings. I have been always looking into it and if it doesn't cost much for forged pistons/ rings with install i would defiantly be interested.

That's why i say to keep the boost under 10lbs. much over that and you have no room for error.

Madanio24 09-18-2012 09:39 PM

I don't know. Why wouldn't they make kits with low boost? Somebody had a turbo for the 4.7 and discontinued it because engines blew.

FlyinRyan 09-18-2012 09:53 PM

KB kits were discontinued because of low demand and poor tuning solutions at the time. There was at one point a turbo kit for the 4.7 Dakptas however the shop that sold them went out of business.

At a minimum, you will need 42 lb injectors, 2 bar MAP, and SCT, and a wideband capable of OBDII datalogging. Colder plugs would be a good idea. I can do boosted tuning for 455.00 .

I would keep the boost at ~7 psi.

Madanio24 09-18-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 685444)
KB kits were discontinued because of low demand and poor tuning solutions at the time. There was at one point a turbo kit for the 4.7 Dakptas however the shop that sold them went out of business.

At a minimum, you will need 42 lb injectors, 2 bar MAP, and SCT, and a wideband capable of OBDII datalogging. Colder plugs would be a good idea. I can do boosted tuning for 455.00 .

I would keep the boost at ~7 psi.

So if you wanted to do a proper turbo above 7 psi what would you need besides the items you already stated? pistons/rings/ rods

FlyinRyan 09-19-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madanio24 (Post 685450)
So if you wanted to do a proper turbo above 7 psi what would you need besides the items you already stated? pistons/rings/ rods

Need? You wouldn't NEED anything, but it'd be recommended to use water/meth to keep the charge cool....There seems to be a correlation between high EGTs/detonation and the shattering of the piston tops (broken ring lands). Fuel pump would also be a good idea.

It seems like above 10 psi is borrowed time territory, at least on the 4.7 (non-HO)

05wkguy 09-20-2012 12:51 PM

If you kept it at 7lbs and had proper tuning, you should be good for plenty of miles, however at that level you can "only" expect around 280-300 hp, which may not be a great power:money ratio.

I'm sure others are going to chime in a say just trade it and buy a hemi. Honestly, they aren't wrong.

4.whoa 09-20-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05wkguy (Post 686231)
If you kept it at 7lbs and had proper tuning, you should be good for plenty of miles, however at that level you can "only" expect around 280-300 hp, which may not be a great power:money ratio.

I'm sure others are going to chime in a say just trade it and buy a hemi. Honestly, they aren't wrong.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesnt the 4.7 have that kind of power stock? If so 7psi should put it somewhere near 400hp

magna~forma 09-20-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05wkguy (Post 686231)

haha for Starters your correct 4.whoa stock the 4.7 have 290H and I would think you would get at least another 50 horse with turbo. 400 might be a stretch but 10 extra horse.... helllz no