Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Connector on back of RES stereo (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/connector-on-back-of-res-stereo-47667.html)

Mihklo 09-19-2012 03:38 AM

Connector on back of RES stereo

First post couldn't find what I was lookin for when I searched, so if this has been asked and answered I apologize.

Looking at replacing the factory RES head unit on my 11 GC. Base 6 speaker system. When taking out the head unit i came across a 2nd connector that only had 3 wires in it. Can anyone tell me what the wires are for?
Also on the main harness for the car there is a white/red and white/black wire. I assume these are the acc wires, but how exactly does it work? I purchased what I thought was the correct harness (pac c2r-chyna-didnt read the item description enough when i boughtit) but it was wrong. Having an extra wiring harness I improvised and had all the main wires hooked up. But......the accy wire wasn't providing enough power to power the radio. I was just gonna tap in the fuse box but searching around it appears the only fuse box is under the hood which makes it a lil more of a pain.

Mihklo 09-20-2012 12:02 AM

Re: Connector on back of RES stereo

Anyone?

RageOfFury 09-20-2012 12:24 AM

Are you installing an aftermarket head unit?? If so, then I highly recommend you purchase the correct harness. PAC C2R-CHY4 or RP4-CH11. If you don't use the right harness you risk damaging the CAN bus data network that runs throughout the vehicle.

CatMan879 09-20-2012 02:13 AM

http://www.metraonline.com/news-post/39

Mihklo 09-20-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 685893)
Are you installing an aftermarket head unit?? If so, then I highly recommend you purchase the correct harness. PAC C2R-CHY4 or RP4-CH11. If you don't use the right harness you risk damaging the CAN bus data network that runs throughout the vehicle.

Yes installiing an aftermarket double din. Just waiting for a new dash kit to come in since the dummies sent me one for a 2010. While I agree that it old be best to use the chy4, I already have the chyna which has the canbus module as well. It just doesn't have as many wire hookups to it as th chy4. But looking at what wires are in my GC it only has the 2 wires that hook into the canbus and I'm assuming the 3 wires I was looking for info on are for the camera (which I don't have). The canbus module I have now has the hookup for those 2 wires. I'm sure I am confusing a lot right now. But hooking it up and driving around everything seemed to work properly without loss of any functions that I know of. And no messages on the dash.

Andrew Klossner 09-20-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mihklo (Post 686329)
While I agree that it old be best to use the chy4, I already have the chyna which has the canbus module as well.

Yes, but it's for the old low-speed CAN bus. WK2 uses the high-speed CAN bus.

Mihklo 09-21-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 686371)
Yes, but it's for the old low-speed CAN bus. WK2 uses the high-speed CAN bus.

That's some good info there.

Out of curiosity what runs thru the radio from the canbus on the res, base 6 speaker setup.

Andrew Klossner 09-21-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mihklo (Post 686481)
Out of curiosity what runs thru the radio from the canbus on the res, base 6 speaker setup.

I don't know what the base system uses. But the point is that it's a bus, not a point-to-point connection, so there will be a lot of traffic that's not destined for the radio.

It's a lousy analogy, but think about pulling onto an 80mph highway in a vehicle that can only go 40mph. The whole system gets screwed up and there may be damage.