Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Tow Hooks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/tow-hooks-47679.html)

chuckster 09-19-2012 08:43 AM

Tow Hooks

My 2012 Laredo X came without front tow hooks and as I write this I'm at an event in a rural area where it has been raining. There are 1000 plus trailers here and late arrivals are being towed in by giant farm tractors. Most of these are 4x4 trucks which have tow hooks up front so they have no problem. If the rain doesn't stop when this event is over, I'm in trouble (along with lots of other guys)
My question is, can I go back to the dealer and have them added easily,or is this major and costly surgery?

BuckeyeSRT 09-19-2012 08:46 AM

Re: Tow Hooks

or you could do it yourself
http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...ight=tow+hooks

chuckster 09-19-2012 09:35 AM

Trouble is, I'm unable to do the work myself any more due to health reasons. I saw the thread where a guy did it himself.

JoeSchmoe007 09-19-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckster (Post 685598)
My 2012 Laredo X came without front tow hooks and as I write this I'm at an event in a rural area where it has been raining. There are 1000 plus trailers here and late arrivals are being towed in by giant farm tractors. Most of these are 4x4 trucks which have tow hooks up front so they have no problem. If the rain doesn't stop when this event is over, I'm in trouble (along with lots of other guys)
My question is, can I go back to the dealer and have them added easily,or is this major and costly surgery?

Of course you can do this at dealer. It's fairly simple for them but whole front bumper has to be removed, so it can be a couple hours worth of labor charges on top of parts price.

AAAA 09-19-2012 12:53 PM

The rain is over. How did you make out?

brandont 09-19-2012 12:57 PM

Not major at all. Hardest part is getting the stupid lower bumper off. Which, in case you don't know - is supposed to be removable for offroading.

chuckster 09-19-2012 04:14 PM

Yes, the rain is over for now but Sat & Sun are supposed to be bad too. Yesterday, my wife and I went to a nearby town for supplies (beer) and it turned out to be quite a mud run. Slipping and slidin' ploughing thru what seemed like small lakes. I had a blast; the wife, not so much. My beautiful deep cherry red crystal pearl GC now looks like it's been to Afganistan.
Oh well, the power washer awaits her when we get her home.

AAAA 09-20-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckster (Post 685802)
Yes, the rain is over for now but Sat & Sun are supposed to be bad too. Yesterday, my wife and I went to a nearby town for supplies (beer) and it turned out to be quite a mud run. Slipping and slidin' ploughing thru what seemed like small lakes. I had a blast; the wife, not so much. My beautiful deep cherry red crystal pearl GC now looks like it's been to Afganistan.
Oh well, the power washer awaits her when we get her home.

Hmm. Never thought of power washing my wife. ;)

brandont 09-20-2012 10:50 AM

I think he meant his wife was going to power wash his Jeep. I'm sure that's what it is! :D

kinerin 09-20-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 686148)
Hmm. Never thought of power washing my wife. ;)

QuadA.......laughed long and hard at that one.!!!:)

Jeeters 09-21-2012 07:15 AM

I got stuck doing some offroading back when I had my Liberty. Completely my fault.

Some local guys on ATVs came buy and tried to help me out (everybody pushing), but no luck. One of them drove off down the road to a local farmer he knew. Farmer came with big arse tractor and tugged me out. Nowhere to attach his chain's hooks, though, so it ended up going right on the front suspension somewhere (i forget where; probably axel) and I just crossed my fingers and asked him to be gentle. No damage done.

After that, though, I went and bought Mopar tow hooks for the Liberty and installed them myself. Never needed them but good piece of mind. (Well, they did get used to pulling out some shrub stumps at my parents house; worked pretty well.)

For the WK2, I made sure to get it with tow hooks. I'll continue to buy tow hooks as long as I'm taking a vehicle onto any trails.
As mentioned above, front pieces need to be removed to install the front hooks on the WK2. The vehicle already has the bolt holes for them, though. Another reason to let a shop do it is they can properly torque it if you don't have torque wrench. Tow hooks should be torqued correctly since it can be a lot of pressure put on the bolts when the hooks are used.

chuckster 09-21-2012 08:47 AM

Yep, the dealer it is. Thanx guys.