Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Would clay bar solve this issue? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/would-clay-bar-solve-this-issue-477.html)

mjl2610 06-11-2009 10:58 AM

Would clay bar solve this issue?

The other day I decided to wash and wax my moms 03 WJ to be a good son... So after washing it i proceed to apply meguiars gold class paste wax. I like to use paste since i do all of the work by hand. Happy with the finish on the hood (looks-wise) i glide my hand over the paint. Much to my dismay it feels like sandpaper! :(:(:( This is truely a sad time. How should I go about this issue in the most painless yet cost effective way possible.

B.P.O.D 06-11-2009 11:02 AM

Re: Would clay bar solve this issue?

yes clay bar removes the contaminants that are on your paint that cannot be removed by car wash soap! meguiar's has a great clay kit for $20 or less

i personally used this the other day and got out some nasty looking stuff that was stuck to my paint by my tires. i washed it a few times and it didn't come off so i went out and got the clay kit!!!

http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f...ay-bar-kit.jpg

mjl2610 06-11-2009 12:10 PM

Cool Irf, i was looking at that on their site. Ill get it when i go out next time i pass the autozone or pass by the walmart and give it a shot.

B.P.O.D 06-11-2009 12:31 PM

no prob mike

mjl2610 06-11-2009 03:45 PM

I know that some of the discussion in the past on clay bar was something along the lines of keeping the area wet that you are working on with the spray that is included. If its not done correctly i can screw up the finish and or paint right?

B.P.O.D 06-11-2009 03:52 PM

yes you def want to make sure there is lots of liquid so the clay doesnt rub up against dry paint!!! i was scared at first too but it was really easy!!! if I can do it YOU can do it:)

Matt 06-11-2009 03:53 PM

Yes Mike, use the QD the kit comes with liberally. I would get a second bottle for an extra 5 bucks. Always keep the area being clayed lubricated.

Matt 06-11-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 9923)
yes you def want to make sure there is lots of liquid so the clay doesnt rub up against dry paint!!! i was scared at first too but it was really easy!!! if I can do it YOU can do it:)

To tag along on this.... claying is VERY simple. If you can apply wax, you can clay a cars paint. I bet you can find tutorials on YouTube.

Dylans3960ccs 06-11-2009 03:55 PM

you should do some before and after pics of this.

mjl2610 06-11-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylans3960ccs (Post 9930)
you should do some before and after pics of this.

Im sure i will when i do it. The weather here in chicago has been rather crappy as of late so i want to make sure i get a day when its nice and sunny and i wont have to worry about rain.

mjl2610 06-11-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 9924)
Yes Mike, use the QD the kit comes with liberally. I would get a second bottle for an extra 5 bucks. Always keep the area being clayed lubricated.

Yeah i will take a look at some videos or something. I am a little uneasy about it but ill give it a shot when the weather gets nicer. I was halfway tempted to pay someone to do it for me but there are no hardcore detailers around here other than scott in kentucky and joe and company on the east coast.

B.P.O.D 06-11-2009 04:00 PM

yeah mike wait for a nice day and do it... youtube has a great video by mike phillips on how to clay a car/truck check it out