Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Center Dash (Radio) Surround and Lower Dash - Below Steering Wheel Removal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/center-dash-radio-surround-and-lower-dash-below-steering-wheel-removal-47731.html)

mickey53usa 09-20-2012 09:40 AM

Center Dash (Radio) Surround and Lower Dash - Below Steering Wheel Removal

Yes, I searched - Yes I looked at WK2jeeps and have the printed document - but still have questions.

2012 Jeep GC

Surround in the Center Dash - around the radio - it appears there are about 15-17 clips holding this in place. Do the switches and A/C control come out with this or do they remain once the surround is removed (are the switches A/C Control held in with screws behind the surround).

Dash panel below steering wheel - once the steering column ring is released, does the lower panel unlatch (have clips) along the top edge? In the 08 Liberty, it was almost effortless to get this section to release from the top edge and swivel down.

TIA - BTW - Photos would be a bonus!

Michael

BIGAL 09-20-2012 10:35 AM

Re: Center Dash (Radio) Surround and Lower Dash - Below Steering Wheel Removal

i watched the tech do it on my 2012 you need a plastic tool like a thin shoehorn and start at 1 end carefully lifting and holding with the other hand don't get crazy with it a little at a time,do not do it if you are in a cold climate . all switches and controls stay in the cluster

2012 Summit 09-20-2012 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See center bezel section.

John47 09-21-2012 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mickey53usa (Post 686132)
Yes, I searched - Yes I looked at WK2jeeps and have the printed document - but still have questions.

2012 Jeep GC

Surround in the Center Dash - around the radio - it appears there are about 15-17 clips holding this in place. Do the switches and A/C control come out with this or do they remain once the surround is removed (are the switches A/C Control held in with screws behind the surround).

TIA - BTW - Photos would be a bonus!

Michael

I can help you with this one Michael - pulled mine out to fit a brake controller in the cubby.....
Use a trim removal tool and work carefully.
In the photo you can see the rectangular slots where the clips fit.
Word of warning - if you disconnect any wiring while removing trim - do not turn the ignition on or start the engine before reconnecting. The Jeep runs a system check before starting and may throw a code or hissy fit.
Keep your missus away while working - it doesn't look pretty!
John

2012 Summit 09-21-2012 06:10 PM

To add to John47's post. If you open the little cubby door below, you can reach behind the bezel and get it started. I have done it several times and didn't even need the plastic trim removal tool.

John, Good tip on not starting the engine before reconnecting.

mickey53usa 09-22-2012 07:42 AM

Thanks, real world experience helps a lot. Going to do this Monday. Think I have found the four screws for the panel below the steering wheel. It does not release like the Liberty one does.

mickey53usa 09-25-2012 12:22 PM

Removing the panel underneath the steering wheel in a 2012 GC Limited is different than shown in the 2011 trim removal guide. The panel has four 8MM bolts (screws) along the bottom edge. After you remove the steering column trim (release it from the clips) there is a 8MM bolt (screw) on each side of the steering column that must be removed. Then there are clips on each side. Be carefull removing the left most screw (bolt) on the bottom edge (one above the park brake) as it will drop behind the "kick panel" and go into never-never land. The headlight switch just pops out and you can disconnect the wires. The wires for the gas door release can also be unplugged so that the panel can be removed. Behind the plastic panel ins a metal cover that is held in by four 5/16 bolts. Pretty easy to see and remove.

2012 Summit 09-25-2012 01:30 PM

Thanks for the update.