Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Purging oil on a steep climb? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/purging-oil-on-a-steep-climb-47798.html)

jefferson.oz 09-22-2012 02:47 AM

Purging oil on a steep climb?

We did long steep climb today in 4 low, mainly to try out the new Cooper tyres, which were great by way, make a huge difference traction wise... anyway, a few things happened, I'll list them in order of concern, 1-My wife had a panic attack halfway up as we were sliding around a bit on a loose rocky section, so a stop to take in the view fixed that... 2- Engine and trans seemed to quiet hot even though it was a pretty mild day, electric fan was going flat out, evic showed 115deg C Trans 105deg, I know it was working quiet hard in 4 low but still makes me wonder how things would be in the middle of summer on a 40deg day.... and last of all, which worried me the most when I first noticed it while we were taking our halfway break was oil dripping from under the front of the car, I was under there pulling out a branch that got wedged in the front suspension then noticed the oil, looked like engine oil, so I first thought I must cracked the sump or something... You know how you always think the worst at first, maybe thats just me.... Anyway, after having a bit of a look, the sump sits nicely up out harms way and was in tact, the oil seemed to be around the front diff area not necessarily from it unless it came out of the breather, but it didn't look like it, so I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, annoying...However after sitting for a while, no more oil leaked, and after checking it a couple times along the trail it didn't leak again, its as if it purged oil out a breather or something but only on a steep climb, strange, anyone had this happen or have any ideas? I'll just go wash it in the meantime.....

AussieJeep 09-22-2012 03:52 AM

Re: Purging oil on a steep climb?

I would be getting it up on a hoist, taking the engine cover or steel bash plates whatever you have off and tracing the oil to where it originated from, if only for peace of mind, oil leaking from a mechanical item usually means eventual trouble. All the best and let us know.

allypally 09-22-2012 06:40 PM

Sounds more serious than a simple purge.

Dasher 09-24-2012 09:51 PM

Sounds like a visit to the dealer under warranty, oil is not meant to be outside the working parts of the car something could be failing when under such load and the car is trying to tell you something. With the Cooper's did you fit the ATR 3's I had them on my previous GC and they performed great especially the ride and wet road handling will definately be fitting them on the new rig when the supplied tyres wear out.

jefferson.oz 09-26-2012 02:43 AM

Yup, oil is supposed to stay on the inside eh, going in for the 72k service next week, they gonna have a look see, doesn't seem to make sense to them either, I've done roughly 900km this week and has not leaked a drop since... wished I could of worked out where it dribbled out from.... Anyway, tyres, I fitted LTZ's, think thats all I had to choose from having 20" rims, funny, some people swear by Cooper tyres, others tell me they are hopeless and the side walls will crack on them, guess time will tell, one thing I have found out is that they have added at least an extra litre per 100km to my fuel economy... so the worn Kumho's did have something going for them after all.... I wouldn't have thought they'd make that much difference, well, didn't think there would be any difference at all.... bloody EVIC, would have been blissfully unaware in the old days.....

John47 09-26-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferson.oz (Post 688613)
Anyway, tyres, I fitted LTZ's, think thats all I had to choose from having 20" rims, funny, some people swear by Cooper tyres, others tell me they are hopeless and the side walls will crack on them, guess time will tell, one thing I have found out is that they have added at least an extra litre per 100km to my fuel economy... so the worn Kumho's did have something going for them after all.... I wouldn't have thought they'd make that much difference, well, didn't think there would be any difference at all.... bloody EVIC, would have been blissfully unaware in the old days.....

Off topic......and likely useless info.......bear with me.
Like most others on here - doing research for new tyres, and wanted a quality all terrain tyre, so I looked at the specification for BF Goodrich AT KO All Terrains in 265x65x18 - the tyre weight was 25.5kg (56lbs). When I went back to the spec for the OE Kumho in 265x60x18 their weight was 16kg (35lbs)!! Roughly 10kg per tyre and 40kg in the unsprung weight fitted.
That's quite a difference in construction and material, and probably reflects in the rolling resistance as well, its possible Coopers may be similar to the BFG......

josh3008 09-26-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 688869)
Off topic......and likely useless info.......bear with me.
Like most others on here - doing research for new tyres, and wanted a quality all terrain tyre, so I looked at the specification for BF Goodrich AT KO All Terrains in 265x65x18 - the tyre weight was 25.5kg (56lbs). When I went back to the spec for the OE Kumho in 265x60x18 their weight was 16kg (35lbs)!! Roughly 10kg per tyre and 40kg in the unsprung weight fitted.
That's quite a difference in construction and material, and probably reflects in the rolling resistance as well, its possible Coopers may be similar to the BFG......

That would be because the Kumho's are cheap crap, i have done 10,000km and already half the tread has gone! I like the look of the cooper atr3 though, thinking that will be my next tyre.