Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Tranny jerks into gear during slow and go traffic. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/tranny-jerks-into-gear-during-slow-and-go-traffic-4780.html)

brent 12-14-2009 10:50 AM

Tranny jerks into gear during slow and go traffic.

I've noticed that my 2007 WK Overland clunks into gear when I'm going 10-15 MPH and put my foot on the gas. No matter how softly I press on the pedal, there's a pretty noticable jerk from the transmission.

My Jeep was modified somewhat when I bought it. Has an airaid cold air intake and a magnaflow catback exhaust system. Looks like the previous owner was into modding somewhat and I was curious if it might be a programming thing? What's the best way to determine if the engine has a chip or been programmed by one of those aftermarket performance tuning computer modules?

1 GRAND 12-14-2009 10:54 AM

Re: Tranny jerks into gear during slow and go traffic.

Mine is stock and it does it too.

Robert Palmer 12-14-2009 11:01 AM

No worries. That's totally normal for these Jeeps.

blackpepper 12-14-2009 01:11 PM

Your Torque Converter is locking up.

"normal"

psyco6string 12-16-2009 02:17 PM

From what I have been told the torque converters used by Jeep suck and it is locking and unlocking at low speed..........I wonder if that is why my truck will roll backwards down my driveway when in drive if I don't give it some throttle .

JeepKid 12-16-2009 02:54 PM

I have the same issue. Mines an '08 stock and does this on occasion. It has done it ALOT less now that i dont punch the gas everytime i go lol Mine spent about a month at the dealers and they concluded it was a normal Jeep characteristic.

05srt12b 12-16-2009 04:16 PM

yup mine does it too. i have cai and exhaust. i got my tranny warrentied andd it still does it

speed"n"jeep05 12-16-2009 04:19 PM

i had this issue to but i dont think its normal they replaced the clutch system and it hasnt done it since, but again its not normal for your jeep to lock and bump forward when shifting thats usually a tranny slip or a bad clutch shift!

rufdod 12-17-2009 01:40 AM

well im really glad someone brought this up, mine does it a lot as well. Apparently its normal from everyones posts....but that is a little disappointing, i mean im glad nothing is seriously wrong, but i wish it could go away. I thought it might have been something with tranny fluid being low, or needing changed, but i guess not

05quadratrac 12-17-2009 06:20 PM

Yeah im glad to hear its common mine does it a lot when shifting from 1st to 2nd especially after I just turn the car on and start to drive.

rufdod 12-18-2009 12:15 AM

mine also has an issue immediately after startup, it doesnt seem to fully engage, you can push as hard as you want on the gas but it hardly accelerates.. someone addressed this issue before idk where though

Scottina06 12-18-2009 08:36 PM

sometimes when the WK sits overnight the fluid drains and it takes a few seconds to fill up. You can overfill the tranny fluid just a tad.....seriously