Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Trans flush (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/trans-flush-47804.html)

HOOCH 09-22-2012 09:50 AM

Trans flush

Looking to flush my trans and filler up with amsoil ATF so my question is how many quarts do I need to flush and fill the overland with a hemi and it has the tow package if that makes a difference?

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

Doc_d 09-22-2012 10:53 AM

Re: Trans flush

Why?

I'd never do a flush. I'd just drop the pan change the filters and refill it. You won't be replacing all the fluid but flushing causes all kinds of problems in my opinion.

I wouldn't do it before the recommended interval.

I would only use the Chrysler trans fluid. Chrysler has a very special fluid and there are a ton of documented cases of trans failures due to the wrong fluid being used. It'll run ok for a few thousand miles, then you'll run into problems.

I haven't done the 65rfe yet, but I've done 42rle's on several occasions. I think the 65rfe might actually have two filters. Also I haven't looked yet but many newer vehicles don't come with a dipstick for the trans. Just a cap that says something like dealer service only. If that's the case on the hemi you'll have to order a dipstick from the dealer as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

HOOCH 09-22-2012 12:44 PM

Hmmmm that really sucks :( oh well it will at least save me some coin, but I figured they just used typical ATF in it!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

6t6gto 09-22-2012 01:59 PM

I think the trans uses ATF+4 which is a synthetic.........JB.

peckmv 09-23-2012 10:03 AM

The 65RFE hold 14 quarts. Never just change the filter and refill the few quarts that drain out. This just changes about a quarter of your fluid. I always do a full flush along with a filter change. Any trans fluid that meets the ATF4+ spec is fine and is noted in the manual. I tow, so I do this every 30 - 40 thousand mles. Amsoil is expensive oil and it will be costly to do a full flush because you will need more than the 14 quart capacity to do it correctly. The choice is yours.

CIEGOS 09-24-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 687290)
The 65RFE hold 14 quarts. Never just change the filter and refill the few quarts that drain out. This just changes about a quarter of your fluid. I always do a full flush along with a filter change. Any trans fluid that meets the ATF4+ spec is fine and is noted in the manual. I tow, so I do this every 30 - 40 thousand mles. Amsoil is expensive oil and it will be costly to do a full flush because you will need more than the 14 quart capacity to do it correctly. The choice is yours.

To change the filters you need to drop the pan which holds ~7qts. The 45/545/65RFE has been around for a while and there is plenty of information about it and fluid change intervals. But speaking from experience the tranny doesn't need to be flushed. Depending on use a yearly filter and pan fluid replacement should suffice. :)

HOOCH 10-22-2012 10:06 PM

Thanks fellas for all the input probably just stay with the standard interval since the only thing I tow is my alum 2 place with my snowmobile on it!