Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Dried bug cleaning tips (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/dried-bug-cleaning-tips-47813.html)

NPC123 09-22-2012 02:13 PM

Dried bug cleaning tips

I just hit 1000 miles on my new Maximum Steel Altitude. I have read about dryer sheets, de-greasers, etc to remove dead bugs. My problem is with the little hard crusty spots left on the grill, hood, and headlights, from the remnants of the dead bugs that I have washed off with soap and water. What is the best way to get the small spots off, without scratching the brand new headlights, grille, etc? I have already ordered some Einszette Bug and Tar remover, but don't know if this is what I need to get the crusty spots off without scratching/discoloring. I guess I am more looking for spot treatment at this point than simply spraying the front of the car and waiting. I have tried Meguiar's QD but it doesn't seem to loosen the spots up enough. Thanks.

...and I waxed the car before I left for the road trip that caused this mess.

jkratze1 09-22-2012 02:28 PM

Re: Dried bug cleaning tips

I use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover for spots followed by Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer. I find that if I use a sealant like Meguiars NXT 2.0 or Ultimate Quik Wax, bug remains don't stick.

mopar59 09-22-2012 02:41 PM

I start my wash by spraying the bug with rain-x Bug&Tar pre-was gel. I make sure it is on at least 15 minutes. I spary it off and most come off. If most of the remains just wash when I wash the car. I do use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax on the front after each wash. This has work very well for me for several years now.

Jim_in_PA 09-22-2012 05:40 PM

Interestingly, I was just outside dealing with this on my Summit...I did some mass-murdering of a whole bunch of "love bugs" on a recent trip to and from central Florida to help the 'rents move. I only needed to make a bucket of soapy water (used dish detergent) and used a windshield cleaning tool to gently pre-soak and then scrub off the little buggers, as it were. The pad on the tool is a sponge surrounded by a mesh material and it took care of the job without being abrasive.

aleatory 09-22-2012 08:07 PM

None of the bug and tar removers I've tried over the years worked very well for me. A few years back, I came across a tip that I've used ever since with great results.

Fill a bucket with warm soapy water. Use a cotton towel to wash the area. Then dunk a dryer sheet in the soapy water and lightly wipe back and forth over the bug remains. Yep--an ordinary dryer sheet (fresh from the box, unused).

Dried bug guts, road tar, tree sap--things that cleaner wax just wouldn't remove--have all easily come off with this method.

Years ago, I used polyester mitts to wash cars, until I saw the hazing and micro scratching it slowly created. Since then I've always used 100% cotton towels. So, I was leery about harming the paint with a synthetic dryer sheet. But, I haven't seen any evidence of paint damage.

As with any of the other bug and tar removal methods--always follow up with a fresh coat of wax. Plus, a good wax job helps prevent bugs and other crud from sticking to your car. (Ounce of prevention... yadda yadda.)

Scottina06 09-22-2012 08:20 PM

Use Meguiers #21 sealant and the bugs wipe off with quick detailer and a plush microfiber.

Milous 09-22-2012 08:22 PM

Dried bug cleaning tips

Bring to a boil, let cool 2 minutes, add salt, serve with ketchup.

dr.lee.baugh 09-22-2012 08:23 PM

A clay bar does the trick for me.

Clubby360 09-23-2012 02:52 AM

i keep a bucket of water in the garage every time my cars get driven ,does not matter if for 5 minutes up the road or longer, as soon as i park bugs get wiped off every time and i have never had dried up hard to get off bugs,also keep a sponge and chamous in the back and wash off the bugs after arriving at my destination on a road trip at the first service station i find.

Ratchet 09-23-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 687159)
Dried bug cleaning tips

Bring to a boil, let cool 2 minutes, add salt, serve with ketchup.

You forgot to mention a dash of "Old Bay" creole seasoning.

As for cleaning the bugs, soap, water, microfiber washmit. For quick cleaning, Meguires quick detail spray has always worked for me and we have some bugs here in NC that have their own commercial pilot license!

HYTEK 09-23-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkratze1 (Post 687073)
I use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover for spots followed by Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer. I find that if I use a sealant like Meguiars NXT 2.0 or Ultimate Quik Wax, bug remains don't stick.

+1 this is the method I've used for years and it's always worked well. The key to it though is having a good wax and sealant on first.

RegularGolf 09-23-2012 08:48 PM

For $20, it can be done right: http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-b...ser-combo.html

A good thread on the subject: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-get-done.html

Also, an FYI, microfiber is your paints friend. Cotton, terry, etc. are not!